beca_bugg
Newly Registered

Curly Willow pruning

Good afternoon all!
I'm new to the bonzai world but I heard that curly willows make great starting trees. Well, I got a cutting from a friend about a year ago and now it is around 2 feet tall in its pot and wanted to make it into a bonzai. My question is, is there any special way you prune a willow as apposed to other more hardwood varieties? I have already shaped the trunk the way I want it with wire and plenty of patience :D but just need help in the branch pruning. Thanks!

luigonz

beca-buug,

it relatively hard to tell what style suite a tree without seeing a picture of it.
But i would say the most common style for this tree is informal upright. You could take it in any direction though. Again its kinda hard to tell without a photo.

beca_bugg
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply! I apologize, I should clarify my question. I have already begun to prune the branches (a little) and know what shape I want, but is there something I should do to get more growth along the main branches? When I trim the top off the main branches, they just grow back. I want some new growth lower and more compact. I haven't been able to take a picture yet, but will get one up soon. Thanks!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I had a hard time getting willow to present a 'weeping' profile. Even with fishing weights added, mine tended to look more like they were trapped inna washing machine on spin cycle...

I never got a twisted (contorted?) willow in my clutches. Photos would be lovely.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

beca_bugg
Newly Registered

Thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know. I just wanted to know what to expect. So far the branches aren't starting to hang, just standing straight up. Also, I'll work on keeping the tips trimmed. Maybe that will keep them from growing back. I might even let the branches grow out a bit so they hang. I guess it might end up being just an extra large bonzai, lol.

beca_bugg
Newly Registered

Here is a pic of the tree. It is just starting to get its new leaves.

[img]https://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll90/chewbacca133/Mycurlywillow.jpg[/img]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”