Justin088
Cool Member

Dwarf Sawara cypress

Info on caring for these little shrubs would be awesome. Anybody know anything about them?

TomM
Greener Thumb

It seems they are related to the popular Dwarf Hinoki Cypress.
Read here https://www.twogreenthumbs.com/library/cypress.html and scroll down a bit for the Sawara.

I just purchased a nice little Dwarf Hinoki from Bill Valavanis at International Bonsai.com. Good material to work with.

Not familiar with Sawara. Will read up on it.

Justin088
Cool Member

Here's a picture to give an idea.

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/KGrHqIOKocE12TZ4GqbBNhpRmHs_3.jpg[/img]

Justin088
Cool Member

Any tips on pruning,repotting,watering, anything basic would be cool.

Thanks for the response.

luigonz

Justin,

if you don't mind me asking, where do you get this fantastic trees(collect or buy)?

being a fellow texan and all, just curious?

Justin088
Cool Member

Actually I got this guy from a collector/grower in california. She has some great tree's. Go here for more info! https://stores.ebay.com/Little-Bonsai-Garden

Justin088
Cool Member

[img]https://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/nostrangers08/sawara1.jpg[/img]

Any styling advice for him?

luigonz

Justin,
I would thinout the foliage and build some pads. So that u might see the trunk a little better and build more movement in the foliage. As opposed to just a ball of foliage on a straight trunk. Try and break it up a bit. U should look up graham potter on YouTube. He does a tutorial on a small shimpaku juniper which is similar in shape to ur cypress.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Best advice? Outdoors ONLY. It'll dry and die indoors. As far as styling, well, those little cypress can be tough if they've not been trained early. What you have is basically a groundcover shrub fresh out of a nursery pot. So, if it was cut, it was likely trimmed more like a hedge than a bonsai (which looks to be the case). Styling such a tree can be difficult, at best, to near impossible as you will often find that the odd branch you want to get rid of on one side of the tree contributes very heavily to the foliage on the opposing side (the branch crosses the trunk). If you take it off anyway, you may then find that the overall appearance is completely lopsided, and you need to cut more. Soon, what you wind up with is pretty much an whip with maybe thee decent branches and almost no detail branching (because the center dies). So, my advice, without being able to examine the tree closely would be to leave it in the pseudo-broom style it is in and keep it up by pinching and hedge clipping, as needed. It's a pretty little tree, nonetheless.

Justin088
Cool Member

Yeah I opened up the foliage a bit yesterday and it was just mass confusion inside. I don't even know where to start if I was to trim it up a bit.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

LOL, yeah, I thought so. Even trickier is going to be repotting. I just noticed the depth of the pot it's in. It's likely that a tree that size in a pot that big has been in it for quite some time. My guess is the rootball is going to be as tangled and messy, probably even moreso, as the branches. "As above, so below". Remember this when repotting. It will be entirely likely, even you wish to get this tree into a bonsai pot, that it will take you a few years to do so. If the roots are encompassing the entire pot, just trim back enough, a tiny bit, just to get it back in the pot this year. If they're not filling the pot, you're a year up and probably go to a ½" shorter pot this year. I'd step it down ½" only the first year you step down, regardless. The following year, you'll probably be able to step down an inch, possibly more.

jaysbonsaitrees
Newly Registered

This tree can be grown indoors. I have been keeping one inside for the past few months and ita a very bright healthy green. its sitting I'm a sunny window sill and I move sometimes under a lamp shown in the photo here

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”