TomM
Greener Thumb

Larch Lovers Week in CNY

After so much cold weather we finally see a little bud swelling, maybe a little green, on our beloved larches. That means transplant, re-pot, collect now!

So much to do this week. So much bonsai - so little time.

LOVE IT.

JTred
Green Thumb

I know exactly how you feel. As a college student I only have the week of Easter at home to do all the spring work on my outdoor trees.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Thanks for the reminder! There is a large grove of larch in my neighborhood. I need to stop by and ask permission to poke around and see if there is anything worth collecting.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

the only larches here are ones on streets in my town and in the development I live in, will keep an eye out. . .

tomc
Super Green Thumb

linlaoboo wrote:the only larches here are ones on streets in my town and in the development I live in, will keep an eye out. . .
NJ is a little 'south' to dig for larch. Upstate NY, VT, NH, ME they grow wild in ditches. You actually may be luckier finding Larix in local nurseries, In new england it is concidered a 'trash' tree.

OTOH if you have bed space to grow out trees, bald cypress saplings are (mail order) available and will grow fine in NJ...

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hey Mars,

Did you get over to the larch collecting grounds?
Hope you had good results.

Marsman
Green Thumb

:( Haven't had a chance. Weekends have been insane!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”