JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I think once a day may be a bit too much.
It's 90 degrees here and my plants got watered once a day and still got some root rot.
So maybe try to wait 2 days then water, so there is no chance of getting the root rot.

froggy

Don't worry about a watering schedule - just water when needed - maybe try the chopstick method if you're not sure...
Once you get to know the soil, the color or weight of the pot will let you know when it's needed..
But yeah, a bit less is usually better than too much...

Justin088
Cool Member

Cool the thing is in a plastic pot so I can actually see the moisture content further down into the soil. I'll let it dry more in the middle of the pot and then water. Sound about right? Thank you guys for your patience and answers :oops:

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Thats what were here for :).
And keep us updated!

Justin088
Cool Member

Def will!

Justin088
Cool Member

Hey guys I have another newbie question on watering. I read in a couple of watering method articles that the top of the soil changes color when dry and plant should be watered when the top 2 centimetres are dry. Is this true. I mean I can see through the plastic pot and the pot is still moist. But not the top of the soil. I feel like the rest needs to dry out a bit before a good watering would ensue. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

froggy

Search the forum for chopstick or skewer method, I think it might be more reliable than guessing at the color of the soil...

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

For your next repot in the future you may want to get it in something that's doesn't allow lights through like the transparant one u have now. Roots need to be protected from direct sun and the right pot will reduce algae growing in the soil.

Justin088
Cool Member

Will he be ok in this pot? I mean I don't really have a choice now I don't think. Any quick fixes?

Justin088
Cool Member

I've noticed this tree is really taking a long time to dry out. Only first inch of the soil is drying out but when I put my finger down in the soil it feels damp. I'm thinking this juniper has stopped taking in water.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”