Gloria Sandoval
Newly Registered

Dormant Ficus?

Hello, I have a 30 year Bonsai Ficus for its last 15 years. It never took a break except for dropping its leaves but now they won't come back. they kind of started to come out but then stopped and it is just there.. I prunned it thinking that would help but it is still looking pretty dead. Should I repot it or do something? How do I know if it is really going dormant and I should leave it alone or do something to resusitate it? thanks for your advice.

JTred
Green Thumb

Ficus generally don't have a dormant period like deciduous tree where they drop their leaves. Ficus will slow down in the colder months, and tend to grow in little bursts during this time. Usually when a ficus drops its leaves it is because a) it was subjected to colder temperatures (<40 degrees F) or drafty air or b) it was moved to a new location. If neither of those things have happened, have you made any other changes to the tree how you treat the tree (watering, light, fertilizer, etc.)?

In any case just wait it out. Sometimes ficus will get stressed and drop all their leaves, but then come back with surprising vigor. Good luck!

-Jack

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

My ficus trees when dormant a few months back and came back really slowly.
I wouldn't worry.

manofthetrees

howdy,
have you fertalized lately? I stunned mine pretty badly by defoliating twice in 3 months...it was on purpose tho it was growing way too vigourusly.it shut leaf production down to nothing :shock: I fed it with liquid fertalizer (10,7,10) twice over a month and it has come back nicely. I would mist it daily. the newer branches should turn a greenish tint when wet thats how I knew mine wasn't dead
best of luck

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

if it's still alive it should be green under the bark and should be latex coming out when u nip off a tip, leave or branch.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”