linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Chinese elm coming out of dormancy

While there are people with struggling trees, here's my good news with my Chinese elm.

I came home and find the first sign of budding. :lol: I've been looking at it everyday and it's 60 degrees out today and wala, it's alive. Just FYI I brought this indoors about 2 weeks ago after seeing that all the leaves had dropped and it's been indoors since. It was enjoyable to prune it b/c it's easy to see which branchs to keep without dealing with leaves in the way.

Question, Any special care to suggest at this stage? I plan on easing its way outside to my out door green house once it's full of leaves in the next few weeks.

[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/208729_1947465650339_1353504042_32248063_8023500_n.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your vote of confidance and your help in my other thread.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31717&highlight=linlaoboo

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I'm happy to see that your tree is ALIVE :D .
I would THINK just to leave it alone for now and let it grow.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Guys the buds have turned into a couple of new brances and leaves which I've been removing some that are not in ideal location in my eyes. The problem is no new growth have emerged above the arm pits of the lowest 2 branches you see on the picture. No new buds at all on any of the old brances. Is this tree dead above the new growth? I noticed the lower trunk that's definately alive has smooth and shinny bark where as the rest above it is a bit wrinkled . . .

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

linlaoboo,

The wrinkled, shrunken bark does indeed seem dead from here but it's hard to say for sure. Cut the end from an upper branch and look for green, living tissue. If I were you I don't think I would remove any more buds until you determine exactly which parts of the tree are alive.

Norm

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Norm,

I did just that and what's under the upper trunk didn't have any living tissue. Although the color under the bark are somewhat green and yellow, they are dry and quickly turn brown after a minute. When I did the same test in the lower trunk that's definaely alive, the green tissue is clearly wet and alive.

I'll give it a few more weeks to determine if the sugar will make its way upward to revive anything. Thanks for your tip, I won't remove any buds for now.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”