ees27

My Bonsai tree is struggling and I desperately need help!!!!

I received a bonsai tree from my aunt on christmas. I believe it is a juniper because it has needles and no flowers or leaves. This is what happened...

I did alot of research on bonsai's cuz I love this thing. I live in Arizona so I water it once a day. It was doing very very well until I trimmed it about a month ago. it was the beginning of spring so I thought it was appropriate. Apparaently I trimmed it to much and ever since I have it has been struggling. The leaves have turned very dark and crunchy. very few parts are a healthy green. I thought hard water was killing it so I use filtered water from my fridge. I figured it might not get enough sun so I put reflective metal on my window sill so more sun would get into my room. I stoppeed spraying it everyday because it seemed to be getting white flakes on the leaves. I used superthrive on it for about a week of watering. Used some rain water. I keep the pond built into the pot filled as much as I can so the humidity stays high. I put a tiny bit of fertalizer in it because my mom warned me of burning the roots. I don't know what to do. I would greatly appreciate any help.

TomM
Greener Thumb

When you 'researched' juniper you should have learned that juniper will not live (for very long) indoors. It is a hardy outdoor plant and it suffers - should I say limps along - in the house, but dies eventually.

I'm not sure it can be saved but let's try. Find a spot outside where your Arizona sun is not wicked hot, a semi-shady area with maybe some morning light but afternoon shade. Don't let it overdry OR stay wet all the time. Don't do any fertilizing unless it begins to show healthy new growth. First let's find out if it is actually alive.

Hardy (outdoor) plants need these things - the brightness of natural outdoor lighting (even if not in direct sunshine), PROPER watering, temperature variations that they get in a normal day/night cycle, air circulation (the movement they get from wind - not provided indoors), fresh morning dew, the coolness, or cold, that comes with winter - yes even in your location. All these things come in the annual cycles. One big key here is wintertime dormancy, something that it requires and won't get in an unnatural indoor environment.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I'm going to jump out on a limb and ask if you could provide a picture (if possible).
It is easier for our Bonsai Enthusiasts to properly identify the species and give you the proper instructions.
Do not overwater and do not under-water.
I grow two Junipers, I made a special shelter for them so they could get enough sun and shade.
Every 2 days, I rotate so all sides of the tree get sun.
When it rains, it goes on top of them, and the wind hits in an angle.
All important properties needed for Junipers like Tom said.
So if you can, provide a picture.
Here's the link just in case you need help
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724[/url]

ees27

Thank you for the reply. My only concern about putting it outside is that its going wicked hot everywhere in about a month. Under the roof of the patio in the shade it will still easily climb into the 100s. It is almost 100 today as well.. can my bonsai withstand this kind of heat?

ees27

I will post pictures soon

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Most trees can withstand most temperatures.
Temperature for a tree means that the soil will get more dry more quickly, which means you will have to water more frequently.
Use the chopstick method if you are not sure when to water.

TomM
Greener Thumb

ees27 - in my earlier post I mentioned "unnatural indoor environment" and you are worried about whether a juniper can live in the heat outdoors. Look at it this way. Do junipers live outdoors where you are? Is your home air-conditioned? If the answer is yes to both questions then yes a juniper should be outdoors - in its natural environment. BUT since it is in a pot - not in the ground - it will need some special care, I.e. semi shade, proper watering, and good soil.

ees27

[img]https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/evan_tha_allstar/IMG_20110401_152700.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/evan_tha_allstar/IMG_20110401_152648.jpg[/img]

Dry discolored crunchy
[img]https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/evan_tha_allstar/IMG_20110401_152722-1.jpg[/img]

Discolored tips
[img]https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/evan_tha_allstar/IMG_20110401_152816.jpg[/img]

ees27

I will find a spot that gets morning sun on my back patio. If you see anything else in the pictures that I need to fix please let me know. this is my first tree and I'm doing my best. Thank you for all the advice

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

By 'discolored' tips, what color are they?
I THINK it's a Procumbens Nana Juniper.
Google it/Bing it and tell me if you agree.
Try to find a place outside that gets enough sun/shade during the day.
Water it appropriately to amount of sun and temperature.

ees27

Yes I do believe the it is a nana juniper. the pictures are almost exact. I thought the discoloration because it was dying. the buds and tips of branches were almost a black color. The buds never were that color before I trimmed it.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I think that the buds may be turning black because of being inside for some time.
The tips of the branches turn black sometimes after trimming.
Try to put outside and water appropriately.
Keep us posted.

ees27

Things aren't working so well... everything that was discolored is turning brown now. The new problem I see is that it might be drowning because I put it in a white tray and once it fills to a certain point my bonsai cant let anymore water run out. So I removed the tray and just set it on a flat stool so there shouldn't be any blockage of the draining hole. It has raining so I put it out in the rain. I don't want to give up on this plant.

TomM
Greener Thumb

JUNIPERS love the outdoors. HOT - COLD doesn't matter too much if given the proper care. Junipers do not like indoor environments (like air-conditioning). Junipers are more likely to die from over watering (which can lead to root rot) than under watering.

In nature junipers grow in the mountains, dry hot locations, in the cold north, outside nearly every McDonalds on the planet. But not in the house.

I think your little guy is suffering from wet soggy roots. Let it dry out a bit, clip the dead tips if you like. It may come back. But if not - try again. At least now you have places like this to turn to for advice.

We all lose a few plants/trees now and then. We try to learn why, and learn from the experiences. The more we learn the better we get. :wink:

ees27

There are branches that are green or have some kind of somewhat living color at the tips but as you go down the branch there are brown dead needles to a certain point. what would happen if I cut off the dead needles only? would that be a good idea?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”