bonsai-nut
Newly Registered

Brazilian Rain Tree troubles

Hello,
Looking for any advice on troubles I'm having with my brazilian rain trees. I have 4, roughly 7 month old (grown from seed) trees and all have the same problem. About a month ago they all started to drop their leaves, some of the leaves turned whitish brown around the edges while other leaves just went limp, but all eventually fell off. I have new growth on all the trees, but much of the existing has fallen off or is dying.
This is my first try with Brazilian rain trees. I've grown Japanese maples, Chinese dogwood, banyan and water jasmine trees for years and never had this kind of trouble. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Jay

ynot
Greener Thumb

Where are they located? Inside, I Hope. [ Have to ask, Sorry.]
Tell us a bit about their enviroment.

Mildew, Maybe?...Too few details to guess more.
Does the cambium scratch green still?

bonsai-nut
Newly Registered

Inside; south facing window; temp between 72-76 F; humidity around 65-70%; soil is a mixture of peat, high quality potting soil (both from local nursery), and vermiculite which is kept moist and allowed to slightly dry out. Cambium still scratches green.

ynot
Greener Thumb

bonsai-nut wrote:Inside; south facing window; temp between 72-76 F; humidity around 65-70%; soil is a mixture of peat, high quality potting soil (both from local nursery), and vermiculite which is kept moist and allowed to slightly dry out. Cambium still scratches green.
Good info there, Nothing deadly, Hmmm, Something viral or infection perhaps?
I don't know much about their weaknesses.

You didn't happen to have just cut their taproot did you?
:clutching at straws:....Sorry :(
ynot

bonsai-nut
Newly Registered

Haven't done a thing. As with all my trees I just let them grow until they're at least a year old, then I start cutting back new growth and stunting them, training I start at a year and a half to two years. No bugs that I have noticed and no fungus either. I fertilize them monthly with a balanced root/growth fertilizer for new seedlings and saplings (same as I've done for all my other trees). I just tried repotting one, made the soil more free draining, see if it helps any.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”