VascoDeGama
Newly Registered

Tree Identification, please

Hello!
I recently acquired this young tree, which I would like to grow as a bonsai. However, I would like to know the specific genus and species in order to take better care of it.
As of right now it seems to be responding well to its new home. Its kept indoors with plenty of east (morning) and south/west (afternoons 3pm onwards) sunlight.
Watering and feeding - no problems thus far, I soak it from the drain hole whenever the ground dries up...
The pictures are not the best, nor closest. If anyone would like a better close up I can try, but my camera is not top notch...
The leaves are long and circular, its texture is harsh, not smooth...

Thanks for all your help!
Cheers!

VDG
Last edited by VascoDeGama on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VascoDeGama
Newly Registered

Here's the picture!

[img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5148/5558185291_cf2c71eed8_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/5558766348_bf16923f75.jpg[/img]

TomM
Greener Thumb

OK VDG I'll venture first guess. I believe you have a very young multi trunk Dwarf Hinoki Cypress, probably a year old cutting. It might also be a shimpaku juniper. Hard to say from your photos. It has the distinctive scale type foliage of both of these.

But I can say that it is not an indoor (tropical) tree and you are doing it no favor keeping it inside, even though it may seem ' happy' right now. Learn all you can about these (cold hardy) tree species. Online photos will help with the ID and show you that they belong out in the weather.

Over time hardy trees will suffer in indoor conditions, much lower light level than outdoors, non varying temps day-to-night, very poor humidity, lack of moisture from natural rain, etc. I hope you understand.
Last edited by TomM on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intriguedbybonsai

That's a nice tree you have there. My first guess was some variety of juniper. It's definitely a species of conifer for sure. Btw conifers do their best outdoors.

VascoDeGama
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies.

After brief research I think it is a shimpaku juniper rather than the cypress (judging from pictures found).

Many thank for the suggestions, otherwise I would not had an idea of where to begin.

Yes, I think it shall be moved to the outside, I can make an adjustment to have it live out and about.

Cheers!
VDG

buburt
Newly Registered

what u have is an arborvite ......not sure which one as there are several, but it is an arborvite Burt

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”