zipfel
Newly Registered

Bonsai Newbie Help!

Hello, thanks very much for clicking on my post I appreciate any help you experts could give me. :)

3 weeks ago I acquired a bonsai with I orginally thought was a Ficus, however on closer examination I have realized that it is a Boxwood, of what strain I am unsure. I have it indoors where the light is very poor. I have been watering daily and misting as many times as possible however the plant now droops and looks sick. I know the problem is lack of light and I was wondering where I could get the perfect light for my bonsai and what type I should look for.

I also have/can take pictures of my bonsai if needed.

Thanks very much for your time and opinions.

:) 8)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Zipfel,

You have hit upon part of your problem when you say:
I have it indoors where the light is very poor.
Your tree will do better outside, it will however need some protection during the coldest months.

You are almost certainly overwatering your tree as well. Watering daily, even a small amount, is not the proper approach. Water the tree when it needs it, not on any kind of schedule. Check the soil with your fingers and if it is damp it is OK for another day. Only water when it approaches dryness, then water copiously, wait a few minutes and repeat.

The reason IMO that it is drooping is that, ironically, it is not taking up enough water through its, (presumably), damaged roots.

Get it outside and water only as necessary.

Here is a link, don't miss the link at the top of the first page.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Buxus.html[/url]

Norm

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

a boxwoodshould be outside, depending on your location. it needs a period of dormancy, as it is a temperate tree. for now though, just follow norm's adivce, and we can talk about wintering a little later.

Also, what kind of soil are you using? a bonsai needs bonsai soil, which is usually predominantly inorganic material, with some organic. In other words, a very well draining mixture, with large particles. If the soil it is in is conventional potting soil, we have a problem.

Pics would also be helpful.

zipfel
Newly Registered

Hey thanks alot guys for your replies!

Its the morning right now and I am off to school but I will post pics later when I get home..

I haven't changed the soil since I bought it which was three weeks ago...

I would like to get a desktop light for my bonsai as I know its hardly getting any light. Do you know of one I could purchase?

Gnome: thanks for the link some very helpful information there. I think I will use the toothpick trick to test to see if it needs water from now on.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and the temp outside now is 6°C.. maybe a bit chilly for my bonsai... :(

Pics coming soon! thanks again everyone for all your help. :) :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

zipfel wrote:
I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and the temp outside now is 6°C.. maybe a bit chilly for my bonsai... :(
Put simply: Wrong.

Please re-read the link Gnome was kind enough to post for you.

Take SPECIAL note of the section titled 'Position'.

You need to find a way to place your tree in a gradually cooler position over the next month or so- until about 6 or 7 weeks from now it will be acclimated to to outdoor temps.

Please read a bit about dormancy in plants: https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm
ynot

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

a desktop is not what you need. It needs to be outside. Also, it doesnt need that much light, as it is slowly entering dormancy. but you need to do what ynot said, and slowly get it used to cooler temps. Putting it outside would shock it.

also, you havent said what kidn of soil you are using. This isnt as important right now, but nonetheless it should not be ignored. Does it have large particles? or is it like normal soil, with a lot of peat, and it retains a lot of water.

Also, where did you purchase the bonsai from?

zipfel
Newly Registered

Hey everyone. Man, what a long day! I'm beat... but here are the pictures as promised. I hope they are of good enough quality, I took them with my 2.0MP camera phone.

[img]https://www.geocities.com/superphil91767/Image009.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.geocities.com/superphil91767/Image010.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.geocities.com/superphil91767/Image011.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.geocities.com/superphil91767/bonsaingurl.jpg[/img]

I purchased my bonsai at the local greenhouse nursery. It was $40 CDN. I am not sure what kind of soil it is but when I jam my finger in there it feels very compact and rooty. It also feels moist.

I was hoping to keep the bonsai indoors because I do not have a back yard and was wondering what you guys thought of just growing it inside all the time. Thanks very much for all your help! :) :) 8)

ynot
Greener Thumb

zipfel wrote: I was hoping to keep the bonsai indoors because I do not have a back yard and was wondering what you guys thought of just growing it inside all the time. Thanks very much for all your help! :) :) 8)
This has been asked allready, and answered allready. [In every single previous reply post in this thread.]
If those rocks are glued on, please remove them.

'Hope' will not keep it alive. Enjoy it while it lasts, I give it 16 months inside. [I assure you I am being very generous.]

zipfel
Newly Registered

ynot: well, ynot!! haha. I have no where to put it outside.. except the front lawn where someone could probably jack it. That is why I kept leaning towards an indoor solution.

If I cant keep it inside, I suppose I will have to give it away or let it die.

ynot: the rocks are glued on there and so is that little house... I will remove.

Petra26
Cool Member

zipfel wrote:I have no where to put it outside.. except the front lawn where someone could probably jack it. That is why I kept leaning towards an indoor solution.
actually, I think that front lawn should be a suitable location, especially if you bury the entire pot/tree into the ground and put one of those garden wrap fences around it they would probably not "jack it". but I thought you lived in canada. I thought the crime rate in canada was low and all the people were friendly? at least that was the my impression of canadians after all the ones I meant in europe when travelling. anyways, I would suggest you getting a ficus if you are interested in a bonsai. they are able to handle growing indoors. you can find one at wal-mart, that's if they have permeated the borders of canada for a mere $10-$15 US. not the best quality, but good for a beginner :D

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

ynot, I think you were being a little conservative. id give it around 20 months....But zip, this can be done indoors, but you need to do work. I think petra offered a good solution, but if you want to keep it indoors, what you need to do is put it in an area in the winter that is unheated. an area that does not get warmer than about 60 degrees Farenheight. Boxwood is a very tolerant bonsai when it comes to winter tempature range. they can be kept in tempatures from about 20 degrees F to 60 F. (I'm not sure what the celsius conversion is). this tree CAN be grown indoors, so do not give up hope if you are willing tp put work into it. Also, the rocks need to be removed, and it needs to be potted in bonsai soil. You could either do this now, or in the spring. As long as you do not trim roots (which you shouldn't) it can be done now. Also, as the tree is getting ready to go dormant, I would put it in the coolest location in your house right now, and leave it there all winter. These suggestions are not recommended over outdoor growing, but they ensure the best chance of survival if you are looking to keep it indoors.

zipfel
Newly Registered

JoeLewko: Thank you so very much! That was the information I was after. I will put in as much work as I need to take care of my bonsai.

Will I have to get an all spectrum grow light for my bonsai then? The temp inside my house is 68F will that be ok?

Planting my bonsai outside on the front lawn would not be a good idea but I appreciate the suggestion. :)

I originally thought that I had purchased a ficus, as that is what the lady told me.. but she also seemed unsure.

I guess I am going to have to read up on re-planting. :) :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

zipfel wrote: I will put in as much work as I need to take care of my bonsai.
Your statements show otherwise, See my next statement.
zipfel wrote: The temp inside my house is 68F will that be ok?
It is painfully obvious [and potentially lethal to your tree] that you did not bother to read the link to evergreengardenworks that I posted to you. [Nor Gnomes link either.]

Had you read it, You would have seen this:
In order for these species to break dormancy and begin growing again they must acquire the requisite number of hours of cold temperatures. For most of these species it is 1000 hours of temperatures below 40F.
And this
Species that have well developed dormancy needs cannot be tricked out of them. If you attempt to give a such as species, for instance Japanese maple, Acer palmatum, an eternal summer by bringing it in the house, it will grow continuously for as long as two years. After a maximum period of sustained growth, a temperate climate plant will automatically go dormant no matter what the season or condition. Deciduous plants will lose their leaves, evergreens will curtail all new growth. This is very stressful to the plant and usually fatal. It will be 100% fatal if the plant does not receive the necessary period of cold temperatures required to break the dormancy.
Don't kill the messenger.

Do you really feel you have the skills to navigate your tree through this?
I ask not to denigrate you, But to save your tree from what is [even in skilled hands risky] almost certain death.

This is my last post on this thread as you continually restate the same question that has been answered multiple times. Yet, because you don't get the answer you want..... you keep asking.
Fine, Keep it inside and watch it die.
A very frustrated ynot.
Last edited by ynot on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

ynot, you need to take it easy. Getting frustrated will get you nowhere, and only hurt other people, not help them. the info on garden works is very general, and does not pertain to every type of tree. Boxwood can tolerate a max winter temp of 60 F, and do as well as they would in a 20 degree winter.

Zip, you stated the woman originally said it was a ficus. what changed your mind? the pics you posted were kind of blurry, and although I believe it is a boxwood, there is a slim chance it could be a ficus. (very doubtful). higher quality pics would be very helpful, but are not necessary.

let's assume it is a boxwood. (which is most likely is). a full spectrum light is not necessary right now, as like I said the tree is entering dormancy. right now, sunlight should be ok. when the spring comes, hen we'll talk. also, 68 is too warm. try to find the coolest windowsill, or part of your house. an unheated basement would work. just make sure it is not in complete darkness. I think I stated this before, but growing a temperate bonsai indoors is NOT recommended, (most experts wont even do it), but seeing as how you don't have a choice, it is your best shot. However, remain aware of the fact that your bonsai may not survive. I am simply trying to offer you the best chances for its survival.

zipfel
Newly Registered

Hey, thanks Joe.. you have been alot of help. I will set it close to a window and I think it should be ok there. I will also read up on how to repot my bonsai. Thanks again for your help. Peace.

Petra26
Cool Member

Will I have to get an all spectrum grow light for my bonsai then?
probably BUT not in the winter. it is dormant then.

The temp inside my house is 68F will that be ok?
no, too warm, go colder.

I think you would do better to goto the store and get some sort of hanger for it to sit/hang on the outside of the window. or even put it in an unheated shed/garage next to a window.

the most important thing you need to understand which you seem to be missing is that the tree need a period of DORMANCY.

DORMANCY

this is what you need to worry about at the moment. don't worry about lighting, repotting, water, etc... worry about that when spring starts. you need to prepare your bonsai for DORMANCY.

oh yeah...

DORMANCY

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Zipfel,

Unless you live in an apartment building I find it hard to believe that you cannot find a spot to tuck that little tree into. Do you not have a garden at all, a flower bed, a foundation planting, a foundation? If you plant it near the building that will help to moderate the temperature somewhat as well.

If you really want an inside tree look into a tropical or sub-tropical. Much easier to adapt to indoor culture and greater chance of success.

Norm

zipfel
Newly Registered

No, I cannot place my bonsai outside. If my tree needs a range between 20F-60F then outside will be far too cold as temperatures go well below 20F come a few more weeks. I will just place it next to a slightly opened window where the temp is always a bit lower than the rest of the house and just make sure it is watered properly. Thanks for everyones help.. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

zipfel wrote:No, I cannot place my bonsai outside. If my tree needs a range between 20F-60F then outside will be far too cold as temperatures go well below 20F come a few more weeks. I will just place it next to a slightly opened window where the temp is always a bit lower than the rest of the house and just make sure it is watered properly. Thanks for everyones help.. :)
With a little research you will discover there are ways[with a little effort] to insulate your tree from being too cold. Similar to what you do to insulate yourself.

I assure you, It is far easier to achieve this than to 'make it cold enough'.
And better for your tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”