Petra26
Cool Member

Will I have to get an all spectrum grow light for my bonsai then?
probably BUT not in the winter. it is dormant then.

The temp inside my house is 68F will that be ok?
no, too warm, go colder.

I think you would do better to goto the store and get some sort of hanger for it to sit/hang on the outside of the window. or even put it in an unheated shed/garage next to a window.

the most important thing you need to understand which you seem to be missing is that the tree need a period of DORMANCY.

DORMANCY

this is what you need to worry about at the moment. don't worry about lighting, repotting, water, etc... worry about that when spring starts. you need to prepare your bonsai for DORMANCY.

oh yeah...

DORMANCY

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Zipfel,

Unless you live in an apartment building I find it hard to believe that you cannot find a spot to tuck that little tree into. Do you not have a garden at all, a flower bed, a foundation planting, a foundation? If you plant it near the building that will help to moderate the temperature somewhat as well.

If you really want an inside tree look into a tropical or sub-tropical. Much easier to adapt to indoor culture and greater chance of success.

Norm

zipfel
Newly Registered

No, I cannot place my bonsai outside. If my tree needs a range between 20F-60F then outside will be far too cold as temperatures go well below 20F come a few more weeks. I will just place it next to a slightly opened window where the temp is always a bit lower than the rest of the house and just make sure it is watered properly. Thanks for everyones help.. :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

zipfel wrote:No, I cannot place my bonsai outside. If my tree needs a range between 20F-60F then outside will be far too cold as temperatures go well below 20F come a few more weeks. I will just place it next to a slightly opened window where the temp is always a bit lower than the rest of the house and just make sure it is watered properly. Thanks for everyones help.. :)
With a little research you will discover there are ways[with a little effort] to insulate your tree from being too cold. Similar to what you do to insulate yourself.

I assure you, It is far easier to achieve this than to 'make it cold enough'.
And better for your tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”