JoeLewko
Green Thumb

fungus growing on moss?

I noticed over the past few days, a thin white film develops on the moss of my boxwood. it may justg be my imagination, but it seems to have come back. (after I removed it the firts time). I cleaned the moss again. (with a toothbrush), and ill see if it comes back. I might be worsening the problem with the toothbrush, by spreading it, so maybe next tiem ill clean it with my hands. I was just wondering if anyoen has experienced anything similer to this, and if it is in fact a fungus. Also, if it does happen to be a fungus, should I just use some fungicide on it? if so, any specific kind?

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:I noticed over the past few days, a thin white film develops on the moss of my boxwood. it may justg be my imagination, but it seems to have come back. (after I removed it the firts time).
How long of a time frame is this?
I cleaned the moss again. (with a toothbrush), and ill see if it comes back. I might be worsening the problem with the toothbrush, by spreading it, so maybe next tiem ill clean it with my hands. I was just wondering if anyoen has experienced anything similer to this, and if it is in fact a fungus. Also, if it does happen to be a fungus, should I just use some fungicide on it? if so, any specific kind?
It is possible it is mildew, Is it on the pot also or just the moss?
Pictures would help alot here.
Last edited by ynot on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

just the moss really, and the white stuff is very faint, not like overtaking the moss.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Man! I so completely butchered the quotes there! :oops:
Thanks for even trying to understand.
Over what timeframe does this reapear Joe?

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

id say a few days..maybe 2-3

ynot
Greener Thumb

Sounds like mildew
A note on moss:
I think I would ditch that moss.
Most of the moss you see on world class bonsai was placed there for the show/picture. It does not live there on a daily basis [For reasons exactly like this.] It also complicates watering and limits Aeration. Might be easiest to live without it.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

what could I do against mildew?

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:what could I do against mildew?
Mostly this is due to overwatering, Does your tree get good ventilation/air circulation? Does the surface of your soil/moss stay wet all the time? [IE: It never gets a chance to dry out on top.]

Solution A.] As stated: Remove the moss. The simplest way- And best for your tree.

Solution B.] Remove the moss, There is no sense in insisting on doing it the hard way. This is what is best for your tree.

Solution C.] Google up some fungicides and run down to the nearest garden center and get them.
Keep in mind that this problem will not go away until you sort out the watering.
Also, during the process of temporarily 'band-aiding' the problem you will be subjecitng your tree to un-needed chemicals. This is not what is best for your tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”