JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Little green bugs on Chinese Elm

Haven't been on here in a while since my plants have been doing so well.
But now I've come across a serious problem.
My Chinese Elm has started to die, it has plant food, water, sun, ect.
But then I noticed these little green bugs that almost match the light green color of the underside of the leafs.
I don't have a picture since they are very small.
I try to get them off but the leafs are so small that I'm afraid I'll break a branch or tear off a leaf.
It is not an Elm Beetle because it's not that big and doesn't have any black.
It is like neon green or kelly green.
Help?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Justin,

Sounds like you might have Aphids. They are soft bodied sucking insects that can be controlled with a soap spray. This can be as simple as some dish soap (not detergent) dissolved in water. Even a forceful water spray from your hose will dislodge many of the beasties. If they are too stubborn you can move up to a natural product like Neem Oil mixed appropriately.

Aphids are fairly easy to control but it will take several rounds of spraying to get rid of them. One thing that I do is to look at where they are located on the plant, most often at the tips where the new growth is tender. Sometimes I simply prune away the parts that are effected the worst, then spray.

Anyway, Google Aphids and see if you agree.

Norm

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Yes, they are Aphids.
I decided to do what you said.
I took GAIN dishwashing liquid and put it in a spray bottle and put water in it too.
I sprayed my plant once everyday.
Not sure about when to spray it.
The aphids have fallen to the soil and lived there so I sprayed the soil.
I see some are dead but theres a lot of eggs.
When I did a power wash on the leafs, a lot came off since their like the size of my ring finger nail (small).
I noticed today that a lot of the leafs are turning brown or yellow.
They are spotted with black dots.
Is that another disease or just the affects of the Aphids?
What should I do?
Get the Neem Oil?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Justin,

Is that product detergent or soap? Most suggest that you avoid detergent in favor of soap but since I have never used it (detergent) I can't really say what the consequences might be. For now I think I would do nothing as far as the Aphids are concerned except keep a close eye out and wash them away with a spray bottle of clear water. Hopefully now that you have got the bulk of them they will be easier to manage.

Chinese Elms are susceptible to a fungal disease called Black Spot. I struggle with this every spring. It seems that they are more vulnerable early on when their leaves are tender, later as they toughen up, not so much. Try to avoid wetting the leaves when you water, at least for now. I shield mine from rain early in the season as well since humidity and moisture help to spread the fungus.

You can't cure the leaves that are already infected you must remove them or the fungus will just spread more. Last year I tried the Neem I suggested earlier as a fungicide, as it is reputed to be such, but I had no luck with it for this pest. There are stronger methods available.

Before you do anything you should verify that you do indeed have this problem. I know that the scale is small for this plant and this disease but pictures might help us in identifying the culprit. Alternatively, you could try to Google for images of black spot fungus and see if that compares to what you have.

Norm

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Took some pictures for you Norm.
I'm almost positive its Black spots but my camera wouldn't do a good close-up picture so I could show you.
I have some good ones.
The GAIN stuff is soap (I think). My mom uses it for washing dishes but the stuff doesn't say..
Here's the photos:
[img]https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/Justin_Broughton/CrazyPhotos070.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/Justin_Broughton/CrazyPhotos071.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/Justin_Broughton/CrazyPhotos072.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l612/Justin_Broughton/CrazyPhotos069.jpg[/img]

If these are not good enough to identify, I will go and take more as soon as my camera gets new batteries that work..

Thanks.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Justin,

Wow, your soil looks to be in a terrible state, very wet and soggy. Perhaps you had just watered it but even so the texture is not good. The soil should be much more open and free draining. Soil like that excludes oxygen and tends to suffocate roots.

I hate to suggest re-potting a tree in such a state of distress but I'm afraid if you don't it's going to die anyway. You are truly on the horns of a dilemma.

Forgive me if you you gave the details in an earlier thread but I don't remember. How long have you had it? I assume you have never re-potted it, correct? You say it was doing well until recently. How long has it been declining?

Do you have any decent medium on hand, or are you able to procure some?

Norm

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I've always thought the soil was weird.
I hate for my plant to be in distress so I will re-pot it.
I have had this plant for like 2-3 months.
I bought the plant from a guy from Amazon.
I have never re-potted it since I don't own any Bonsai pots.
It's been declining for maybe 2 weeks but keeps growing new buds.
Whats decent medium?
Also, I've tried to procure my own soil but people give me ideas of stuff
that are not available to me but when I get the stuff, I mix it wrong because they said 1 top soil.
Like 1 what!?
I've used Workers sand, top soil, pine bark, and I need moltan (suggested to me).
Is there any recipe that someone uses that can be found at like a hardware store?
My birthday is this Friday so I might invest in 4 galloons of Bonsai soil.
I rather make the stuff before I buy it.
Should I still buy neem oil for the plant?
Any specific type of thing I should use to help this plant?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Justin,

First, cut back on the watering and use the chopstick method to tell when to water it again, your soil is very dense and wet. About the soil, Did we not determine that you are not too far from a bonsai nursery. It will be much easier to buy some rather than make your own if yo have never done it before. Check out the thread on soil:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Re-potting a tree in such distress is not ideal and I have very mixed feelings about encouraging you to do so. If it's pushing new buds you might be able to avoid it for now. Keep a close eye on the soil and the foliage to determine if it's improving or declining. In the meantime try to get your hands on some free draining bonsai soil.

Sorry to give you mixed messages but it's not always an easy thing to make such determination long distance.

Norm

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Thanks for the advice.
Lets say there is good news and there is bad news.
The good news is TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY! :)
So I got my father to buy me stuff that are necessary to me helping my Bonsai.
I bought some things that I need, and I bought 5 quarts of free draining bonsai soil. (Will buy more when needed)

The bad news:
I bought three plants in less than 2 days..
Hard to stop.
Other bad news is when the Elm gets it's new buds and they start to grow, they start getting those black spots.

Other good news:
The aphids or whatever they were are completely gone (for now).
Still looking out for them.

Any other necessities needed?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”