shelf2006

Fukien tea still dropping leaves!!

Hi,

Leaves dropping

I sent a post a couple of weeks ago about my bonsai was dropping leaves but its now dropping leaves, lots of leaves now. I've come home from work today and there are about 25 that its dropped, they seem to be turning half-yellow then drop off, I can see some new growth appearing but is it normal for it to drop so many at once? I'm worried about it. When some of the leaves turned yellow at the beginning of the week I thought maybe I should give it a feed, so I did but not sure if thats just made it worse.

Location/temperature change

I've not changed its location apart from giving it a bit of a sun last week but not direct. I have it in my room and the weather has been up and down recently, it was fairly cold a week ago and now its warmed up again, I don't know if its the temperature thats affecting it as I tend to have my window open overnight because I can't sleep otherwise.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Shelf

femlow

These trees don't like cold temperatures. If you must have your window open to sleep at night, move your tree to a warmer part of your house, and then put it back in the morning. Also, though these trees like to be kept damp, being wet for long periods of time is not good for them. Check your watering and make sure that the soil gets to dry out a little bit (not much, and never let it dry out completely) before you water it again. When you fertilize, the fertilizer needs to be diluted so as not to burn the roots as well.

fem

shelf2006

Hi,

Thank you for your advice, I'm really appreciative. I've actually closed my window over the last few nights to see if that made a difference and it seems to have stopped dropping them, apart from the odd one which I think are the old ones from last week that were turning yellow and dropping off anyway. It seems to have done the trick but in future I might try and put it in our airing cupboard at night as I think its the warmest place. Hopefully it shouldn't do it again.

Thanks very much.

Shelf

ynot
Greener Thumb

shelf2006 wrote:Hi,
It seems to have done the trick but in future I might try and put it in our airing cupboard at night as I think its the warmest place.
Shelf,
I think the draughts involved in this placement would not be beneficial to your Fukien.
Please read this: https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/fukien.htm

Sorry, you will have to cut and paste that-Again I am having difficulties with the links....{?}

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”