joedes3

shimpaku vs. juniper procumben nana

What is the difference between a shimpaku juniper and a procumben nana?

luigonz

procumbens nana is easier to find at your big box store or nursery.
also procumbens nana is a ground cover, but that doesnt mean you cant train it up to a informal upright.

I don't have any experience with shimpaku junipers; I simply havent been able to find any.

joedes3

I found a couple on ebay, only six inches but I will plant in grow boxes and wait. I still don't know what the diffence is between shimpaku and nana

manofthetrees

I believe shimpaku is more of a bush and slow growing while the nana is a ground cover and more vigorous

TomM
Greener Thumb

Not sure just what 'differences' you are looking for but both of these junipers are covered extensively on the web, sometimes using 'common names' - procumbens nana often referred to as Dwarf Japanese Garden Juniper or shimpaku as Sargents Juniper.

Nana is widely (mass produced) sold in garden centers as landscape material and you will see them in the ground around (almost) any fast-food joint on the planet - and in the malls everywhere. Thus the term "mallsai". They invoke the common image for beginner bonsai - particularly in the cascade style.

Shimpaku is the more 'stately', elegant or rugged, tortured, twisted, material preferred by many bonsai artists. Their origins are from the mountains of Japan. See https://www.absolutebonsai.com/shimpaku_juniper_bonsai by Hollow Creek Bonsai in Lima, NY.

There are many, many juniper varieties worldwide. One of note, native to North America, is the Rocky Mountain Juniper a favorite of Ryan Neal. And I should also mention the famous, and abundant, California Juniper.
Last edited by TomM on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles M

Procumbens Nana junipers have light green, needle foliage. Older specimens may produce some scale foliage, but since the prevalent growth consists of tiny green needles, bonsai growers produce bonsais with the needle foliage. Procumbens Nanas are easy to find in nurseries because they are grown for ground cover.

Shimpaku Junipers have dark green, very finely textured scale foliage. They cannot be found in landscape nurseries, because they are too slow growing to have any commercial value as a landscape plant. Since they are only grown and propagated for bonsai, the only place to get one is from a bonsai nursery. However, some advanced bonsai enthusiasts will strike cuttings every time they prune a Shimpaku bonsai, if the pruning results in material large enough to make a cutting out of. So join a bonsai club, and you may get lucky and either someone will give you a small Shimpaku, or you may win one in the club raffle.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Charles, I guess I will be the first to welcome you to this forum. Glad to have another voice of experience. Nice too that you recommend club membership. I totally agree. Sharing with others who have similar interests offers a wealth of info, resources, and experiences.

Thanks, and keep the posts coming.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”