rani52386
Newly Registered

Japanese Juniper In the Dorms

I will be living the residence halls this spring (transfering colleges) and I currently have a Japanese Juniper that is about 4-5 yrs old. My problem is that at the school I currently go to my room has a shared balcony. The school I will be transfering to will not. I have checked with the RA's at the building I will be living at and the windows in the dorms do not open ( it is a high rise). Anyone have any tips as to how to treat my Juniper indoors, I know it will be difficult but I am willing to put the effort into it. (A flowershop recommended putting it into the fridge at night and removing it when I woke up but I worry about the drastic temperature change.)

Thanks for your assistance!

Sharp

rani52386 wrote:I will be living the residence halls this spring (transfering colleges) and I currently have a Japanese Juniper that is about 4-5 yrs old. My problem is that at the school I currently go to my room has a shared balcony. The school I will be transfering to will not. I have checked with the RA's at the building I will be living at and the windows in the dorms do not open ( it is a high rise). Anyone have any tips as to how to treat my Juniper indoors, I know it will be difficult but I am willing to put the effort into it. (A flowershop recommended putting it into the fridge at night and removing it when I woke up but I worry about the drastic temperature change.)

Thanks for your assistance!

Oh yikes, don't put it in the fridge and back out. The changes wont be good. Junipers usually enjoy a dormant period and are really hardy. Bringing indoors, if you can't get it some sunlight doesnt leave you with much choice. Perhaps a grow light on it? Is there a way to have it outdoors or in a cool garage or room?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Rani,

Juniper is one of the least appropraite choices for indoor culture. Rather than go through all kinds of gyrations and manipulations and still end up with a dead tree I suggest that you make other arrangements for your tree until you are better able to care for it. Such a young tree will benifit from some time in the ground in order to put on some growth. Perhaps your parents or a freind can offer you a spot in their garden for a few years.

If you still want to try an indoor bonsai Ficus is a much better choice. They will tolerate low light and humidity much more easily than a Juniper.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Rani,
A [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/SpeciesIntro.htmlurl]juniper[/url]requires a dormancy period [consistant, cold temps, shortened daylight hours, ect] This is a part of its life cycle, see [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htmurl]here,[/url]
[url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htmurl]and here.[/url] Without this 'wintertime nap' your tree will lose vigor and eventually die.
Gnome is correct in stateing that other arrangements or being planted out far far better suit your trees bests interests vs a slow indoor death.

I also completely agree wrt ficus as an excellent choice for 'Dormsai' 8)

Best of Luck :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”