omegasnake
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm Repotting Question

I recently purchased a chinese elm from amazon that I received on friday and the soil is not draining. I have not watered it in 4 days and the soil is still moist. Can I repot it this soon? I am thinking of using joebonsai's soil mix as purchasing my supplies online is my only options as I live in a rural area. Would I need to put some fired clay particles on the bottom of the pot before the soil to promote better soil drainage or is the soil mix sufficient. PS I am keeping the chinese elm inside as I live in an apartment. Thanks Josh

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Yes, you should repot it ASAP. Any soil would probably work better than what it's in. Sprinkling rocks at the bottom will help increase drainage, so that is a good idea.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaiboy,

Modern pot culture has tended to move away from the use of a drainage layer. Although it seems counterintuitive, using a drainage layer can actually have a negative effect on the drainage of potted plants.

This has to do with the concept of a 'perched water table' Every container/soil combination will have a column of water that will not drain and is only removed through either evaporation or by transpiration via the plants root system.

Waters natural tendency to cling to itself and to other materials are the factors at play here, by adding a drainage layer all that is accomplished is the raising of the perched water table.

Most modern bonsai enthusiasts now use a substrate that is uniform in particle size. If increased drainage is desired the best result will be achieved by using a larger, but still uniform, particle size.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”