Chris M
Newly Registered

Sei-ju Elm - leaves going brown

Hi Folks,

I've got an 8 year old Sei-ju Elm that has been with me for about 3 months; it's located outside and gets a high amount of sun. I water daily in the evenings, the plant gets roughly a coffee mug's worth of water.

The tree's been great up until about a week ago when the leaves towards the top of the plant started going a bit brown. It has been very hot lately, more so than usual.

Over watering? Under watering? If someone would assist, I'd appreciate it..

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,

From the information available I would hazard to say that under-watering is more likely than over-watering.
I water daily in the evenings, the plant gets roughly a coffee mug's worth of water....It has been very hot lately, more so than usual.
One cup of water seems inadequate to me. Always water profusely, enough to saturate the soil. The trick to watering is not quantity, which should always be copious, but frequency.

Give it a good soaking, that will never hurt unless your soil is heavily organic and you do it too often. If your soil is a proper, free draining, bonsai medium the risk of over-watering is greatly diminished. If your soil is heavy and organic then be more careful with when you water.

Norm

Chris M
Newly Registered

@Gnome

Thank you for such a fast response, I appreciate it. I did some more research and think I have been watering incorrectly, I've been carefully pouring the water directly onto the layer of gravel and now understand that the foliage actually absorbs as well, sounds like I should use a mister or the likes.

The soil drains really well, so based on your opinion and my thoughts, sounds like a cup of water is filtering through too quickly and perhaps not enough is being absorbed, combined with the really hot weather, your theory makes sense.

Here's a picture of the Elm - https://twitpic.com/3wxbtu and I've also put up a picture of one of my Junipers, which also has slight browning - https://twitpic.com/3wxce3

Not sure if those pics will confirm things from your side?

JTred
Green Thumb

Chris M wrote:now understand that the foliage actually absorbs as well, sounds like I should use a mister or the likes.
Eh sort of. Basically you wanna water until the soil is completely saturated, and don't water again until it is dry all the way through. The way to know is to stick a chopstick down in. If it comes out dry/clean, its time to water.
Chris M wrote:
Here's a picture of the Elm - https://twitpic.com/3wxbtu and I've also put up a picture of one of my Junipers, which also has slight browning - https://twitpic.com/3wxce3

Not sure if those pics will confirm things from your side?
Its hard to tell what the soil is like from the pics. Sometimes bonsai come with a layer of glued on pebbles, but it sounds like you got yours from a bit of a better dealer than say wal-mart or ikea.

Also, is the juniper kept inside? If so that is probably a major reason for its browning. Keep us posted.

-Jack

Chris M
Newly Registered

@Jack

Thanks for the reply. I've got a chop stick, so I'm definitely going to try that out and see where I stand, thanks for the advice.

I got the Bonsai's from a proper bonsai nursery; the soil is good quality, the gravel is not glued on and the people who run the nursery have been doing so for 40+ years (it's a husband and wife). So I think in terms of soil, it's all top quality.

The juniper is outside, I've read too many negative comments about keeping bonsai's inside, so I'd never do that.

Chris M
Newly Registered

Ok, I put a chop stick in and left it for several minutes and it wasn't really damp or anything, so I guess there was a lack of water - the pots really do filter it out fast! So I've given each bonsai a hefty helping of water this evening so they can absorb it over night and let's hope this does them a world of good.

Thank you for all your help, I'll report back with updates :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,
Ok, I put a chop stick in and left it for several minutes and it wasn't really damp or anything, so I guess there was a lack of water - the pots really do filter it out fast! So I've given each bonsai a hefty helping of water this evening so they can absorb it over night and let's hope this does them a world of good.
The chopstick method is useful but it has limitations. I prefer to find a spot in the pot and leave the chopstick there full time, only removing it to check it. Hold the wood against your cheek, or if you are squeamish, the under side of your wrist. You will easily be able to tell if the wood is damp.

One more thing, it seems to me that this technique is more relevant to beginners who often have purchased a mass produced tree that is potted in a heavier, more organic, medium. A proper, free draining, bonsai medium, which it appears you have, begins to render this method less relevant. A good medium will drain so well that over-watering (meaning too frequently) becomes increasingly difficult.

Norm

Chris M
Newly Registered

@Gnome - I see what you're saying. Ok, well, I've watered them quite heavily, it's been extremely hot here, +- 30 degrees every day and these trees get sun literally the whole day, so this will hopefully be a good thing. I'll monitor things again tomorrow evening (it's almost midnight here now) and see how the soil is and then report back.

Cool?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”