csilve6091
Newly Registered

Bonsai Beginner here

Hi, Can anyone tell me what is the best potting soil to use? I've read where Akadama is the best for a beginner? Also, can anyone explain the "sinking" or "floating" seed thing to me? My seeds didn't "sink" they just floated on the top of the water. Good or Bad???
Thanks for any help
Carol

froggy

First of all, welcome here :)

there is a lot of things to learn and consider when starting out with bonsai. As a beginner myself, I won't be able to give you too much advice, but I can repeat things I've read around here.

Make sure you read through the threads in the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36]learning library[/url] and there is also a wealth of information on the non-forum part of [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/]helpfulgardener.com[/url].

Now, I hate to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as "bonsai seeds" - they are, in fact, just tree seeds. If you google, the species, I am sure you'll find half a dozen different ways to germinate and grow them.
You will probably want to start them in a seed starting mix, not bonsai soil straight away (correct me if I am wrong on this please)...

Then, once they are growing, it will take YEARS for the plants to develop and them growing into a decent size stem, it happens faster if they are planted in the ground (outdoors). confining them into (small) pots slows this process down (alot).

Many people will advise you to work with nursery stock, or at least start from cuttings (that would cut about 1-2 years off the development). There is a thread on ethical collecting also, if you are considering that route.

The main thing to consider is your time frame, if you have 10-100 years, grow them from seed :D.

Nursery stock is a way to get a decent looking tree in a 'minimal' time frame for reasonable cost.

If you're the impatient sort, a pre-made bonsai will make you happier, but cost a bit more. pre-made does in no way mean 'plop it into a corner and forget about it' - it will need care and attention and maintenance. also, do your research before acquiring any plants, if you cant provide them with the proper habitat, they will suffer and die.

good luck

csilve6091
Newly Registered

Thanks Froggy, Your advice really helps. I also bought a Bonsai kit with a partially grown tree. I have that one now and I ordered another that is on it's way. I just hope I don't kill them!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The soil you use really depends on the tree. A mixture of good potting soil and pumice really does the trick for me, but I'm growing plants like scheffleras and poinsettias. What are the trees you intend to grow?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”