bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Grow some indoor, and some out. That way you have it all! :lol: My advice for outdoor bonsai is pretty much expended (as far as horticultural aspects), but I can give you advice pertaining to almost any indoor tree you can imagine (a slight exaggeration there, hehe) if this is another route you want to go.
Last edited by bonsaiboy on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victrinia Ridgeway

bonsaiboy wrote:Grow some indoor, and some out. That way you have it all! :lol: My advice for outdoor bonsai is pretty much expended (as far as horticultural aspects), but I can give you advice pertaining to almost any indoor tree you can imagine (a slight exaggeration, hehe) if this is another route you want to go.
So do you grow Serissa? :D

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

No, I don't, because I do not consider them an 'indoor' tree. They are semi-deciduous and subtropical from the information I've gathered, and so they need a dormancy period (or a period of cooling) annually.

Victrinia Ridgeway

bonsaiboy wrote:No, I don't, because I do not consider them an 'indoor' tree. They are semi-deciduous and subtropical from the information I've gathered, and so they need a dormancy period (or a period of cooling) annually.

They are only hardy to zone 9... which means they don't require much in the way of dormancy. But the fact that you avoid the little prima donnas marks you as more clever than most. If you said yes... and were successful with them, would make you near to godlike...lol they are one tree I would never bother with, even if I had the set up. :lol:

I don't consider myself very handy with indoor species.... except bougies and that is quite enough for me. 8)

V

Victrinia Ridgeway

In fact, I think my problem is that I have more regard for my comfort indoors than trees... now outdoors....thats a different matter. I wait on them hand and foot... and think nothing of dragging dozens of trees into the shelter of the garage if its going to be cold. :wink:

So props to you for going the extra mile.... :o

TomM
Greener Thumb

midn 1352, Two more flowering types to consider are Grewia (lavender star flower) and Natal Plum. Neither will be as large as the 'bougie' but they can be trained in different ways. The Natal Plum is a vine that can make a really cool cascade but does have some thorns - though they usually stay soft. Clip them off if you wish.

I love it that you would consider starting a bonsai club on campus. That is a super idea and one that many colleges should have. Imagine the impact on young minds! So many of us take up an interest in bonsai at a much later stage in life - then have such regret that we didn't start sooner. Schools that have a strong Biology Department, Horticulture, perhaps Asian Studies could offer a bonsai club for "growing enthusiasts".

JTred - you might consider doing the same. Justinboi - your school too. Now there's a challenge for students at any level. Speakers from the local bonsai communities would jump at the chance to come talk and give demonstrations for you. I'm doing just that at a rural high school in conjunction with the upcoming Chinese New Year festivities. Yeah even though it's the dead of winter in upstate New York. (hey, why should sports fans have all the fun on Super Bowl weekend?)

Great thread going here. So good to have Vic back!!!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

That is a good idea. The only problem with starting something like that at younger level schools might be the lack of interest. The first year I tried to start a botany club at my school, we only had two other members.

Victrinia Ridgeway

bonsaiboy wrote:That is a good idea. The only problem with starting something like that at younger level schools might be the lack of interest. The first year I tried to start a botany club at my school, we only had two other members.
While you make a seriously good point.... botany and bonsai are animals of a very different stripe and temperment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The one thing I've found difficulty with when teaching young people is getting a steady commitment to the discipline of it.... especially around the notion of having to pay attention to it nearly every day. :wink:

V

TomM
Greener Thumb

Good points from both of you. I wish I had had the exposure to bonsai at a much younger age. And that really is my point here. Exposure.

Yes holding a young persons attention and dedicated commitment is really important. And, yes, it is sorely lacking with so many kids today. But look at the enthusiasm we see from young posters to this forum. Spread that around more. Who knows where the next Dan Robinson, Victrinia Ridgeway, or Ryan Neal will come from.....or when?

Give more exposure to bonsai to students and increase the possibility that some will fall in love just as we have. Even if it is only 1 in a million. 8)

Victrinia Ridgeway

Tom you do me too much honor... I'm still learning myself. I am lucky to have had the American equivalent of a Japanese apprenticeship though, so I do try and share that learning as much as possible. :lol: But I'm just one fish in a very big pond. :wink:

I agree about nurturing the interest of young people, I personally would have LOVED picking this up in my younger years as well... hopefully I'll still have about another 50 years or so with it before I kick the bucket...lol

V

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Victrinia Ridgeway wrote: While you make a seriously good point.... botany and bonsai are animals of a very different stripe and temperment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What I meant here is that any sort of school club dedicated to learning is going to get little interest, especially ones dealing with 'boring plants'. And although I can't speak for all schools, I will say that most people in mine don't know what botany is anyway, and so it is likely that even less know what bonsais are.

JTred
Green Thumb

TomM wrote: JTred - you might consider doing the same. Justinboi - your school too. Now there's a challenge for students at any level. Speakers from the local bonsai communities would jump at the chance to come talk and give demonstrations for you. I'm doing just that at a rural high school in conjunction with the upcoming Chinese New Year festivities. Yeah even though it's the dead of winter in upstate New York. (hey, why should sports fans have all the fun on Super Bowl weekend?)
As an RA I'm hoping that I'll be able to influence a few freshman guys. I have a super secret plan that involves putting "reading material" in the bathroom stalls.

Victrinia Ridgeway

bonsaiboy wrote:What I meant here is that any sort of school club dedicated to learning is going to get little interest, especially ones dealing with 'boring plants'. And although I can't speak for all schools, I will say that most people in mine don't know what botany is anyway, and so it is likely that even less know what bonsais are.
Oh I get that... I was just being cheeky. :wink: Oh for the Karate Kid generation... I don't think there was anyone who didn't know what they were if they ever watched the movie.

I remember how AWESOME I thought his garden was... it's still cool... but not as awe inspiring as I once thought it to be in the movie. :D

Victrinia Ridgeway

JTred wrote:As an RA I'm hoping that I'll be able to influence a few freshman guys. I have a super secret plan that involves putting "reading material" in the bathroom stalls.
OMG... that's a riot (and a stroke of genius).... 8)

V

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Put it up inside the roll of toilet paper, so when someone goes to unroll it... plop! Reading material falls to the ground in front of them.

Victrinia Ridgeway

bonsaiboy wrote:Put it up inside the roll of toilet paper, so when someone goes to unroll it... plop! Reading material falls to the ground in front of them.

lol Awesome....

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”