froggy

Coconut Coir - any opinions?

Ok, whilst DH was shopping for parts, I found myself walking through the soil & fertilizer aisle at CT and came upon a brick of coconut coir...

reading the label, it all sounded good

- slow to break down
- fast draining
- lots of air
- renewable
- etc

A brick was only $3, so I figured why not give it a try. I got the orchid version because it had bigger chunks - less clogging up, I thought, and if it isn't too terrible I may try one of my orchids in it too...

So my first experiment:

I planted a few Hibiscus seedlings (about 4 weeks old, 2" tall, with about as much roots) and some willow cuttings (with 2" to 4" roots, cut on christmas day). - I have plenty of both, so I am not worried about losses.

Now, a week later, I'v only watered once since, after having the coir soaked for a few hours before planting. The Hibiscus is growing just a little slower than the others in potting soil, the willow is obviously a little unhappy (note to self, water them twice as much :P )

So even though the coir is in pretty big chunks, the seedlings are doing fine, and the willow may just be me watering poorly, I'll keep observing this though.

Since I've bought it, I've read coco coir is a terrible soil additive for wintering a bonsai outside, since it goes to mush after freezing (I will test that theory sometime this week - without a tree in it though...).

So it's obviously not all it's cracked up to be, but what are your experiences?
Would you use it in part maybe just for tropical bonsai?
I'm thinking of a coir and turface mix in the end...

Pictures coming up this afternoon :)

there is [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125174&highlight=coir+bonsai#125174]one thread[/url] where someone had a bonsai in coir & perlite mix, and it did well, but there were no other opinions, so I was just curious....

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have found that coconut soil (like the kind used for terrariums) is a great medium for some plants with complementary additives, although I have never tried coconut coir. From what I understood from your post though, it works well so long as it isn't frozen.

Perhaps the reason why your seedlings are growing slowly in the coconut coir is because it has no fertilizer. Most potting soil has fertilizer added when it is packaged, but I do not think this goes the same for coconut coir (or coconut soil for that matter).

froggy

Interesting thought, I may start fertilizing some of them, but I usually wait until they are a bit bigger...

I just figured I'd give it a try, worst case scenario, I learn why it is not used :P

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Good luck with your experimenting.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”