Tree whisperer
Newly Registered

new to bonsais and I think my Juniper is in trouble!

:( Hello, I picked up 3 small Junipers about 3 or 4 months ago from a local florist. I suspect that they were not given the best of care, because they were indoors the entirety of the time at the store. I know this because I would come and look at them every day for weeks before finally buying them, and they were always in the same place, with minimal lighting, and I suspect minimal water. I live in Virginia and while the plants were doing ok during the summer months, all 3 have become very brittle and are turning brown in areas. I know these are out door plants only, but in my novice stupidity I felt that the cold air might hurt them, and I have kept them inside for quite awhile now...though I watered them as needed and gave them sufficient light to no avail. Is it too late for these Junipers? Can I rescue them by keeping them outdoors from now on? The winters here are somewhat mild, hardly ever dipping below 20 degrees F.

I would hate to give up on these trees...I love all plants and it pains me to be the cause of their death. I can include pictures if you need...1 is quite large and I suspect it is at least a few years old and the other 2 are very small...almost looking like twigs protruding from the soil. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated, and keep up the good work!

Tree whisperer
Newly Registered

Just wanted to reply to my own post from earlier...I decided to put the trees outside on my balcony, and they have bounced back to life in the past 2 - 3 days! I am very pleased to say that the parts of the tree that were browning are now back to a nice green, and the brittle feel is now soft and supple (for a Juniper anyway!) Now I can look forward to spending the spring with my 1st trees! Thanks to this site for all the helpful information!

-Thomas :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you Thomas, but I will be travelling a lot over the next two months (as I was this past week).

Glad to hear the news is good and that the site was a help. Keep those trees green and check in here to let us know how you're doing...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”