JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Squirrel eating my Red Cedar!

Okay, I had no hits on my Eastern Red Cedar topic. But I have also observed that Squirrels are addicted to eating the roots of it. I have had to put more and more soil back into the starter pot.
I have had to put some soil into other plants but not like this. Its so weird.
Is there a specific reason squirrels like to eat my soil and roots?
Maybe their hungry?
Also, is there anything I can do to keep the squirrels out of my plants?
Like, different soil? Or something of the sort.

Thanks for everything.

JTred
Green Thumb

Try red pepper flakes. It works for deer. There is also a product called ropel which is intended to be sprayed onto bird seed. I don't know if its safe for roots but it might say on their website.

froggy

I used to use cayenne pepper or chili powder (you can get it in bulk for fairly cheap) but it doesn't last for more than a week or two, especially when it's raining or you're watering over top...

now an angry dog chasing down the squirrel, that left a much longer impression - he actually pinned it to the ground until it was squealing, then let it go when I told him so (there was an old lady watching, else I might have let him 'play' with it a bit more)... I never saw that same squirrel near my plants again, and the others stayed away for at least a whole month...

on another note, I was at a garden conference yesterday, nope I wasn't really listening (I was there selling artwork), but there is a new product that is supposed to keep squirrels and bunnies etc from your plants...
problem is, I never memorized the name, so ask at your local garden centre ;)

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Hmm.. alright thanks. Also, what's the weird checkered thing you put on the bottom of a ceramic bonsai pot? And where can you buy training wire?

manofthetrees

howdy BB,
the mesh for the hole is to help keep the soil from draining out when you water your plant
you can find bonsai wire online I would recomend a package of 1mm,2mm,3mm and 4mm 100gram spools of anodized aluminum.it's much easier to use and cheaper than copper . these sizes should give you what you would need and they are sold in a bundle w/ all 4 sizes.
as for the squirrel ...its somthing new in the area and cedars have a distinctive smell that may be attracting the bugger.if the pepper doesn't deter it I myself would put some kind of screen over the pot (not the whole tree) and secure it well.you could use a small holed chicken wire or maybe old window screening something to stop its paws from getting to the soil
good luck

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Alright. Ill look online for the wire. Also, wherd can you buy the mesh for the holes on the bottom of the pot?

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hobby shops like MICHAEL'S or HOBBY LOBBY. It is sold as cross-stitch (or) embroidery canvas. Don't get the one with the smallest holes.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Alright. Thanks :)

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

what happend to your eastern red cedar? I dug up a couple seedlings last year and I'm looking for some examples on training and styling for down the road . . .

kdodds
Greener Thumb

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=juniperus+virginiana+bonsai&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=juniperus+virginiana+bonsai&sc=1-27&sp=-1&sk=

And because they're so similar to shimpaku:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=juniper+shimpaku+bonsai&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=juniper+shimpaku+bonsai&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

from what I've been told by some serious juniper bonsaist, they said for training purpose this material is ok but apparantly it's not as good as shimpaku and something else with fancier names. . .

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Not as good as Shimpaku, Foemina, and needle, but better than Procumbens and Horizontalis. It tends to die back more towards the inside than Shimpaku and is not as compact.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I finally took it out of the pre bonsai pot & put it into the ground since the trunk was like a stick.. But now the trunk is about an inch thick, trunk grew quickly & like kdodds said, it does die back more and not compact at all !

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”