Marsman
Green Thumb

Bonsai Buried in Snow

We got hammered today! Here are my babies out in the cold.

The Bench
[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/DSC_0013-2.jpg[/img]

Under Semi-Cover
[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/IMG_1200.jpg[/img]

Victrinia Ridgeway

Think of it as wrapping them in a blanket.... they love it. :D

Marsman
Green Thumb

Nice to see you, Vic. Reminds me, I need to buy your book.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hey Mars, Looks like someone removed a tree from the bench (empty spot) in your second photo.

Yeah, they love the blanket of snow. Mine are buried too. You really do want to have this book to read during the long snowy winter ahead. Didn't you get one for Christmas?

That's 'GNARLY BRANCHES, ANCIENT TREES' - awesome read !!!

Marsman
Green Thumb

I had a jug of water there in that blank spot, Tom. Moved it for the picture.

'GNARLY BRANCHES, ANCIENT TREES' : That's the book I'm looking for! Vic took the pictures in it. I have a gift certificate to B&N that I'm going to use on it right now.

Hmm, I can't find it at B&N :?

TomM
Greener Thumb

OK, just a jug of water. I was worried thinking someone walked away with one of your trees as you prepared for your photo shoot - LOL.

You should PM Victrinia and ask if you can still get a special copy signed by her, the author, and Dan Robinson - the subject of the book. An autographed copy is just so extra special!!! And yes, the photography is beyond spectacular.

Tom

manofthetrees

howdy marsman,

I'm surprized you leave you trees so exposed :? I bury my pots in the ground under a shelter, I always thought the roots would freeze leaving them above ground. it would save me alot of digging in the future seeing my outdoor collection keeps growing.
by the way that ain't gettin' hammered :P we got 4 feet in 2 days in the begining of december it took 3 days till we got out ... but we're used to it in the buffalo,ny area

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I love the photos. I wish we had snow. I found out that right now in the United States there's only like 1 or 2 states that do not have snow that has hit the ground at all in the state. But its freezing here and feels around 30. We're not used to these conditions at all!

froggy

These photos should be in a stickie on top of the indoor bonsai forum - as in: yep the trees can take it, and it's cruel to try and keep 'em inside....
except for tropicals of course...
I love the photos. I wish we had snow. I found out that right now in the United States there's only like 1 or 2 states that do not have snow that has hit the ground at all in the state. But its freezing here and feels around 30. We're not used to these conditions at all!
Justin - I envy your climate, I see your scheff growing outside and am looking at mine doing nothing inside here, because its WINTER....
Guess it's just another case of wishing for whatever one doesn't have....

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

My climate is not all its cracked up to be. It isn't this great tropical place because its easier for people to warm up if its cold but when its hot, there's only a limited amount of clothes you can take off to cool down. But my plants are loving the weather but right now, the scheff is inside till it grows some roots.

Victrinia Ridgeway

Marsman wrote:'GNARLY BRANCHES, ANCIENT TREES' : That's the book I'm looking for! Vic took the pictures in it. I have a gift certificate to B&N that I'm going to use on it right now.

Hmm, I can't find it at B&N :?
Sorry brother... saddly you can't get it from B&N... The only place to get signed copies is Elandan Gardens. :)

If you google "gnarly branches" Elandan's site will be the first one that pops up. If you get it from Stone Lantern... it won't be a signed edition.

Hope that helps.

V

PS... Thanks for the generous remarks Tom.. we're all very proud of it, it's a pretty unique peice of work.

The Rookie

manofthetrees wrote:howdy marsman,

I'm surprized you leave you trees so exposed :? I bury my pots in the ground under a shelter, I always thought the roots would freeze leaving them above ground. it would save me alot of digging in the future seeing my outdoor collection keeps growing.
by the way that ain't gettin' hammered :P we got 4 feet in 2 days in the begining of december it took 3 days till we got out ... but we're used to it in the buffalo,ny area

Manofthetrees-

I agree. I am not worried about the snow as much as I am worried about the root balls of my trees freezing over. In particular, I worry about the roots freezing when the temperature gets down to 5 or 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have my evergreens wrapped in mulch contained with burlap. I just cover the pot/root ball and leave the foliage exposed. Then I place the insulated pot into a larger pot and surround that with more mulch. I put my other non-tropical trees in an unheated garage. I've read that evergreens still have a requirement for a little light . . . even in the cold winter months.

I've looked throughout this forum and throughout the internet about winterizing my trees, but I haven't found a lot of discussion about winterizing trees. I don't mind having them in the snow and in temperatures from 10 - 32 degrees, I just get worried when the temperatures go below 10 degrees.

I'd be curious to know everyone's thoughts on the effect of extremely cold weather on bonsai tree roots. Thank you for the photos Mars.

Vic: I googled "gnarly branches" yesterday. Is your book only available at Elandan Gardens? Also, I go to the PNW 3 - 4 times a year. My dad lives in Federal Way. I've been looking for some bonsai nurseries/shops out there with no success. I had no clue there was one in Bremerton. I will check out Elandan Gardens next time I am up in the PNW.

Jason

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

The Rookie,
I'd be curious to know everyone's thoughts on the effect of extremely cold weather on bonsai tree roots.
I don't think twice about leaving many of my potted plants outside, even during very cold weather. I don't leave any of the rootballs exposed to the air though, preferring to have everything in contact with the earth. The earth has a lot of residual heat so that, in combination with a little insulation in the form of shredded leaves, has worked out well for me.

Other plants such as Chinese Elm, Pomegranate and Rosemary stay inside an unheated garage that hovers around freezing for much of the winter.

Norm

manofthetrees

the outside temps really don't matter if they are burried in snow. snow is a great insulator and stuff burried in it doesn't drop much past 32* .we just had a thaw which wiped out the snow and its been getting below 0 out ...these are the times I worry about. I always dred broken pots and dead trees in the spring

The Rookie

Thank you for the responses-

Again, I wasn't worried about snow as much as I am worried about air temperatures freezing my tree's root balls. We've had lows in the -2 to 5 degree range where I live.

I've taken two different approaches to winterizing the past two years. Last year I buried my trees into the ground, but I did not care for that method. This year I had all of my non-tropicals in a cold-frame, but the plastic on the cold frame ripped in high winds. I put my elms in the garage after that.

I'm thinking that next year I will follow Gnome/Norm's approach . . . I will mulch in the evergreens and take my elms into the unheated garage. I've tried to let the trees get exposed to one or two snows before putting them in the cold frame, burying them or sticking them in the garage.

Any advice on watering over these cold months? I've been covering the trees in the garage with ice cubes about once a week . I figure if its too cold for the ice cubes to melt, then I should not be watering the trees. I've just been covering the trees outside with snow and waiting for the snow to melt.

Manofthetrees: I too worry about dead trees in the spring. :). I killed a chinese elm last winter . . . although I'm not certain what killed the elm . . . my winter care or the soil it was in . . . I will be waiting for my elms to bud out over spring with some anxiety.

Jason

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”