lovebourbon
Newly Registered

Id really appreciate any advise for juniper

Hi
I have a 42 yrs old juniper tree and I allowed it to dry out and now its leaves are totally brown. Is my tree dead? Ive been soaking it for about 3 wks now and all the moss has come back ect ? Should I cut off all its leaves? Should I cut a branch and see if its still alive? Any fertilizer that will help?
Id appreciate any advise as I don't know what to do and promise ill never let it happen again :cry:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

From my experience with Junipers, if there is no green left on the plant, it is dead and you might as well just dig it up. If there is some green left on it, you might try pruning away the dead parts and allow the tree (shrub) to regenerate itself.
You could use some bonsai techniques of pruning any green areas (cutting the ends off) in the spring to encourage the growth of new shoots. This will help any living parts to fill out a bit more.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not much to add to Opa's assessment other than condolences...

:(

Scott

lovebourbon
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help.
I'm really dissapointed 43yrs and I kill it in 2 mths after 2 yrs of owning it. I feel so guilty...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It is little condolence, but there is an old Japanese saying that says you have to pot a lot of trees, prune a lot of trees, water a lot of trees and kill a lot of trees to learn bonsai. I know of no one who hasn't and even Val, whom I learned with, used to lose a tree here and there. It happens...

:cry:

Scott

lovebourbon
Newly Registered

How true, I will try again.
If trees have souls and purpose (besides the obvious) then I know where my tree is and I know its being well looked after for me ;)
I'm sure I sound like a kook, I assure you I'm not. I lost this tree because I lost some one close to me and was ill as a consequence, I lost my lust for a little while and my garden suffered. I guess it explains the profound effect it has had.
Again thanks for the advise and the words of wisdom.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sorry for both your losses...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”