DENISE GREY
Newly Registered

Serissas Leaf Drop

I have owned this bonsai for about a month, I noticed some yellowing of the leaves and leaf drop to begin with, after two weeks the leaf drop has reduced and the tree has started flowering, there also appears to be some leaf growth at the base of the trunk.

I know this is a stupid question, but do these trees lose their leaves in the autumn like ordinary trees? I have fed the tree and rotated it as instructed, is there anything else I should be doing?

femlow

Serissas is similar to ficus in that it will drop some leaves when it is stressed (ie it's environment changes due to weather, a new location, etc). If it has stopped dropping leaves and there is new leaf growth, then you have nothing to worry about. It is an evergreen, and should keep its leaves all winter long. Normally they flower in spring though I think, so thats different, but it may just be a second flowering because of the stress, or maybe its schedule just got a little mixed up.

Is you tree outside or inside right now? If it's outside, just be sure to bring it in before it starts to get cold. If it's inside, or if it's outside and you live in an especially dry climate, you can lightly mist it to help raise the humidity (which is especially important during the summer if you have an air conditioner turned on and during the winter if you have the heater on), though you may want to hold off until it is done flowering. If it needs pruning, you can do so as soon as it's done flowering. Normally pruning for this tree is done in late spring or early summer after it flowers, but never in winter because that will effect the flowering next year. Since your tree is in bloom now, that makes it a little more complicated, however it should still be fine to prune since it is still early. And if it doesnt need pruning, then don't worry about it.

fem

Zombiefreak
Cool Member

Observation, This was something I noticed recently in my hibiscus, not serissa but as it has continued flowering for a about a month and a half now. Before the tree grew and bloomed new buds alot of my leaves turned yellow and dropped. I think this is a mechanism the plant has built for itself to flower, it moves the nutrients it needs to leaf growth then drops the leaves in order to use the same energy in flowering. this may be the case just my observation of my tree.

If your serissa is an evergreen as Fem stated it should be fine to stay outside in the winter as well. With a little added protection. I am not aware if Serissa are recommended indoor Bonsai but I would do more research to see what the best solution is before just taking the tree in for the winter, as even evergreens require a dormancy period in which the growth has slowed drasticaly.

My friend has a ligustrum and he kept it indoors all last winter and as a result his tree did not go through its budding and flowering phase this year.
The tree is old enough and mature enough that it should have gone through this cycle this year.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html

says the tree is subtropical and should be kept indoors and temperatures it should face should be no lower than 7 degrees celsius.

DENISE GREY
Newly Registered

Thank you, as far as I know this is an indoor bonsai, I have endeavoured to keep the humidity tray topped up and the temperature around it remains constant. We will have to wait to and see, hopefully it is still aclimatising itself.

femlow

It can be kept outdoors as long as the temperature doesnt get below 7 - 10 degrees C (45-50 degrees F), which means for a lot of people it can go outside during the summer and actually normally does better outside during the summer, however it does need to be brough in for the winter most places. Because it is sub-tropical, unlike with a conifer or similar tree, it does not need a period of cold for dormancy, but it should go dormant still (the leaves will stay, it will just slow or stop growing for a few months more than likely). I did find another source that says sarissas may bloom 6 - 8 months out of the year, so perhaps its not that uncommon? And it seems that if they do bloom year round and your is blooming still, as well as having new growth, then it should be just fine.

Sharp

Serissas can flower all year round as conditions allow. Avoid misting the flowers while they do.

Serissas are a tough bunch. Water them too much, they drop leaves. Water them too little they drop leaves, not enough humidity they drop leaves, the interval in which the roots dry between and they'll drop leaves.

Took a while, and Ive had struggles with this one I currently have but I was told that yellowing leaves mean too much water, while brown or blackish leaves not enough water.

They are def. not a beginners tree. :)

DENISE GREY
Newly Registered

My bonsai is still flourishing and flowering! how and when should I prune it. I am amazed that it is still doing so well and don't want to do anything to jeopardise it.

Dalicea34

Sharp wrote:Serissas can flower all year round as conditions allow. Avoid misting the flowers while they do.

Serissas are a tough bunch. Water them too much, they drop leaves. Water them too little they drop leaves, not enough humidity they drop leaves, the interval in which the roots dry between and they'll drop leaves.

Took a while, and Ive had struggles with this one I currently have but I was told that yellowing leaves mean too much water, while brown or blackish leaves not enough water.

They are def. not a beginners tree. :)
Hi I recieved a new serissa about 7 days ago and I watered it yesterday and it had dropped a couple of leafs and it was kinda of dry. So far today it has not drop any leafs. I have not fiddled with leafs to see if they do not drop with out being(leafs) touched. I would like to get another small bonsai easier for me since I am a newbie with bonsais

ynot
Greener Thumb

To answer your question. No, they are not deciduous. They do not lose their leaves in autumn or go through a dormancy as they are tropical in origin.
Zombiefreak wrote:

If your serissa is an evergreen as Fem stated it should be fine to stay outside in the winter as well. With a little added protection..
No It won't [Below about 50f is risking a 'more than near death experience']

As has been stated serrissa are Tropical...[and fussy- they drop leaves easily]

The bonsai4me link he provided has many excellent articles on care of bonsai.
Be sure to use that excellent source.

ynot

Dalicea34

ynot wrote:To answer your question. No, they are not deciduous. They do not lose their leaves in autumn or go through a dormancy as they are tropical in origin.
Zombiefreak wrote:

If your serissa is an evergreen as Fem stated it should be fine to stay outside in the winter as well. With a little added protection..
No It won't [Below about 50f is risking a 'more than near death experience']

As has been stated serrissa are Tropical...[and fussy- they drop leaves easily]

The bonsai4me link he provided has many excellent articles on care of bonsai.
Be sure to use that excellent source.

Thanks for the excellent source. Well as for my serissa it looks like its kinda of ok for know,nice a moist soil and the leaves have not dropped again. However as long as I do not fiddle with the leafs. The previous leaf that dropped was kinda dry.I will not be overwatering it. Is there an easier small bonsai maybe right..thanks

ynot

Dalicea34

femlow wrote:Serissas is similar to ficus in that it will drop some leaves when it is stressed (ie it's environment changes due to weather, a new location, etc). If it has stopped dropping leaves and there is new leaf growth, then you have nothing to worry about. It is an evergreen, and should keep its leaves all winter long. Normally they flower in spring though I think, so thats different, but it may just be a second flowering because of the stress, or maybe its schedule just got a little mixed up.

Is you tree outside or inside right now? If it's outside, just be sure to bring it in before it starts to get cold. If it's inside, or if it's outside and you live in an especially dry climate, you can lightly mist it to help raise the humidity (which is especially important during the summer if you have an air conditioner turned on and during the winter if you have the heater on), though you may want to hold off until it is done flowering. If it needs pruning, you can do so as soon as it's done flowering. Normally pruning for this tree is done in late spring or early summer after it flowers, but never in winter because that will effect the flowering next year. Since your tree is in bloom now, that makes it a little more complicated, however it should still be fine to prune since it is still early. And if it doesnt need pruning, then don't worry about it.

fem

MagicDan

My Serissa has gone thru the same thing you are experiencing. They are a pretty fussy little tree to keep happy! :D

Check my earlier post for some pics and more advice.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3514&sid=433dfe8e7b2aaeacf131c242f66d3d0c

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”