bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

A small pot should do for now, ie not more than two inches in diameter. As for other bonsai plants, did you mean indoor or outdoor (I guess where you are, indoor is outdoor). I would check out any nurseries in your area. If you see a woody plant with small enough leaves, experiment with it. Don't be afraid to try a plant no 'experienced' bonsaier has ever heard of.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I keep all my plants outside. And is there any specific type of Bonsai that is tropical to my area that I can most likely find in any Plant Nursery?
"It's not just a 'hobby', it's a type of lifestyle."

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Chances are, if you find a plant at a local nursery, it will grow in your climate.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

There is a red cedar that my local nursery is selling for around $10. My parents said not till summer will I be able to buy more plants. So, since I have 6 1/2 plants and 4-5 months of time, I think ill grow the red cedar for a while. Any tips on how to grow it, light, ect. ? Also, on the scheff, I see little mini roots popping out! I'm very proud.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

There is a red cedar that my local nursery is selling for around $10. My parents said not till summer will I be able to buy more plants. So, since I have 6 1/2 plants and 4-5 months of time, I think ill grow the red cedar for a while. Any tips on how to grow it, light, ect. ? Also, on the scheff, I see little mini roots popping out! I'm very proud.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have no experience with cedar, so I can't help you much with it. A google search may yield some informative results though. Perhaps another member can help you also.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

That's no problem bonsaiboy. I will be doing some research in the morning and hopefully someone will come along with some experience with this type.

Meadowlands
Newly Registered

Petiole Cuttings

Believe it or not, I actually have had plenty of luck getting Schefflera to grow from petiole cuttings, as shown in the first photo of this thread. The problem: They never grow new leaves. Still, I've foind it a fun/weird novelty to perform from time to time when I've decided that one of my specimens is in need of defoliation. My favored method is hanging the just above the surface of the water in a fish tank. If you don't have a fishtank, you can create a similar cloner with a small aquarium air pump and a container of water. The air bubbles popping at the surface seem to give the petiole just enough water to expedite the rooting process. I bet it would work in standing water too, as shown. :D

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

This is a slight update. The cutting didn't work out the way I wanted it to. Roots never grew or anything. BUT on my larger schefflera trees, I scrapped the bark off a good bit and put some soil on it, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and watered it. Roots grew, so I took it and cut the thing in 2. So now I have two wonderfully growing schefflera along with my other.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”