Petra26
Cool Member

indoor ficus, what to do for winter...

so far I have been taking care of my ficus pretty decently. it has been recovering all spring and summer. as fall and winter approaches, I am not sure what I am suppose to do. ive got a ficus retusa and I live in chicago area so it is indoors.

should I be expecting the leaves to fall off? or will they stay on the branches? since they are indoors all the time and I'm going to give them lighting w/ a timer to keep longer hours of light, should I still treat them the same as summer? do they need a dormant period or just slightly cut back on watering? should I refrain from pruning? I plan on repotting in the early spring in better soil and pot conditions (still currently in original pot/soil since purchase). I was afraid to repot due to the poor condition of the tree when I first received it. ive never cared for a bonsai through the winter so I am basically unaware what I should do.

any advice is greatly appreciated, thanx in advance :D

Sharp

Petra26 wrote:so far I have been taking care of my ficus pretty decently. it has been recovering all spring and summer. as fall and winter approaches, I am not sure what I am suppose to do. ive got a ficus retusa and I live in chicago area so it is indoors.

should I be expecting the leaves to fall off? or will they stay on the branches? since they are indoors all the time and I'm going to give them lighting w/ a timer to keep longer hours of light, should I still treat them the same as summer? do they need a dormant period or just slightly cut back on watering? should I refrain from pruning? I plan on repotting in the early spring in better soil and pot conditions (still currently in original pot/soil since purchase). I was afraid to repot due to the poor condition of the tree when I first received it. ive never cared for a bonsai through the winter so I am basically unaware what I should do.

any advice is greatly appreciated, thanx in advance :D

As far as I know it doesnt require a dormant period. However it should see slower growth. Not much extra to do, but make sure its getting enough light, isnt getting dried about by the heating in your home, water it less (only as needed of course) and feedings will be alot less also.

If it drops leaves, don't over water it, keep it steady and if its getting enough sunlight it will be fine.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Petra,

F. benjimina are known for dropping their leaves when they experience a change in environment. I don't believe that F. retusa are as sensitive. If I understand your situation correctly you have been keeping the tree indoors already, so I would not anticipate any problems.

A humidity tray certainly would not hurt, especially when you start your heating season. Monitor your watering as you have been.

My F. benjimina (Mini Lucie) slow down considerably when I bring them indoors under fluorescents so pruning probably won't be an issue. I would not use conventional incandescent bulbs, they provide too little energy and produce too much heat.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra26 wrote:so far I have been taking care of my ficus pretty decently. it has been recovering all spring and summer. as fall and winter approaches, I am not sure what I am suppose to do. ive got a ficus retusa and I live in chicago area so it is indoors.
Petra, Please put your location in your profile [It will show in every post that way.]
Can you post a picture of it please, I love retusas! Though I don't have one...Yet.

Read these : I agree with them entirely. https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Watering.html
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Soils.html A solid application of these ideas will improve your bonsai.
Plenty of good info to use at https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html
should I be expecting the leaves to fall off? or will they stay on the branches? since they are indoors all the time and I'm going to give them lighting w/ a timer to keep longer hours of light, should I still treat them the same as summer? do they need a dormant period or just slightly cut back on watering? should I refrain from pruning?
Ficus are not deciduous trees. That means NO seasonal leaf drop.
Please tell me more about the lights you are using [variety, length of exposure, lumen strength, ect.]
There is an article about indoor trees on that site-as well as a beginners section.
I plan on repotting in the early spring in better soil and pot conditions (still currently in original pot/soil since purchase). I was afraid to repot due to the poor condition of the tree when I first received it. ive never cared for a bonsai through the winter so I am basically unaware what I should do.
OK two questions.

Repotting into what media? [the soil link should help you answer that]
Is your tree healthy yet? Or still sick? If it is healthy there is absolutely NO reason not to repot it.

The 'spring rule' wrt repotting refers to deciduous/temperate trees that have a dormancy, Not to tropicals.

Tropicals have no seasons whatsoever, Occasional periods of slower growth but no 'seasons'.

When people suggest to you that their tropical trees 'slow down' when they bring them in for the winter, They may be right.

What they don't understand [or admit] is that the reason for the sluggish growth is due to the new sub-par growing conditions they have been put in: Low lighting, Low humidity, Sometimes no air circulation, Or directly in a draught, Often less than optimal soil..ect. Is it any wonder they slow down.:roll::wink:

If you give them what they want they don't slow one bit.
[img]https://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9306/nodsmiletq8.gif[/img] 8) [img]https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9830/clapoheadjc6.gif[/img] [img]https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9546/bgrdsmilexz4.gif[/img]

Recap:Location in profile, A pic would be good, Tell me about your lights and the current health of the tree...Oh and read up on repotting.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Repotting1.html
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Repotting2.html
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicsrepotting3barerooting.htm
any advice is greatly appreciated, thanx in advance
You have plenty to read! I hope you find it interesting and helpfull!
ynot
Last edited by ynot on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petra26
Cool Member

ynot wrote:Can you post a picture of it please, I love retusas! Though I don't have one...Yet.
here's the thread where I posted some pictures. I had rescued the bonsai from my mom's care. we gave it to her for mother's day and I decided to take it back 1 1/2yrs later to try and save it...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3001&highlight=[/url]

currently I don't have any light, but I have been reading up on how they actually require more light for more growth. you are right, they do not have a dormant period and grow inregards to their conditions. usually slower in winter due to poor conditions. currently I just use my desk light. it's a compact fluorescent light I use to light my room :P I just leave my light on at dusk.

you are right about the repotting anytime since they have no actual seasons. the reason I want to repot is because has been in it's original container since purchase, about 2yrs ago. I am looking into potting it up into a "training pot" I think that's just a bigger pot right? to let them grow freely and healthly before actually styling and pruning... I have not selected a potting a material. I'm looking into the 50/50 organic/inorganic for my potting media since ficus requires more moisture. I mist it and have a humidifying tray. currently I have a lot of "to do" stuff but I'm too busy with working fulltime and night classes. basically I want to set up an area for it first before I do anything with it. right now I'm just leaving it alone except for watering and observations.

ive actually found and read most of those links you posted :D just haven't actually carried the repotting. I guess I won't have to wait for spring, just when I am not too busy :D and get some stuff setup for it.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra,
Thanks for the reply 8)

Just one quick question and a comment for now, I will edit a bunch in later [Or repost if you reply before I get to it]

First OOPS...:lol:.. It is Ficus Salicifolia that I love.:lol:

Does that pot have a drainage hole in it?

I am glad to hear you are familiar with some of those links/sites. More about lights and stuff later.
ynot

Petra26
Cool Member

from the comment of a professional ficus bonsaist, he said it was a "Ficus microcarpa - Ginseng" basically ive heard retusa, ginseng, microcarpa, and now Salicifolia. basically it's a ficus and the care is pretty much the same but I noticed it is difinitely not as temperamental as a bejammina because it does not drop leaves easily. seems quite hardy at the moment.

the pot did not have a drainage hole at first, I had to put one in on the bottom by hammering a nail through. it was a tall narrow cylinder shaped pot. about ~6-7 in tall. about 3 in in diameter... it seems like the soil only goes about 1/3 of the way deep into the tall pot. the rest underneath is air space but the water now runs through it fully. I usually water 2/3 times with 10-30mins breaks in between till water flows out. it is well drained, but I know the soil isn't the best so I constantly check with a toothpick. I removed most of the moss/rock already. but basically I want to take it out of the pot and take a look at the root and see what is really going on under the soil. then look into getting an adequate training pot and repotting with good mixed soil and leaving it alone to grow for awhile before I even consider pruning it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ynot,

You wrote:
the reason for the sluggish growth is due to the new sub-par growing conditions they have been put in: Low lighting, Low humidity, Sometimes no air circulation, Or directly in a draught, Often less than optimal soil..ect. Is it any wonder they slow down.
Well I certainly can't argue with that, but realistically, my fluorescents are a poor substitute for natural sunlight. With the cost of heating, my basement is rather cool as well. Simply put I am unable, or more accurately unwilling, to provide optimum conditions. Tropicals are more of a sideline with me anyway, just something green to enjoy over my cold PA winters.
The 'spring rule' wrt repotting refers to deciduous/temperate trees that have a dormancy, Not to tropicals.
I was under the impression that the optimum time to repot Ficus was during the warmest months during a period of active growth. All other things being equal, which they rarely are, I think I would wait until July or August. This of course does not take into acount the neeed to take action for any of numerous other reasons. Certainly Ficus are not as rigid in this regard as other species.

Petra,

You wrote:
the pot did not have a drainage hole at first, I had to put one in on the bottom by hammering a nail through.

And also:
I know the soil isn't the best
These are two very good reasons to consider an "out of season" repot. One nail hole does not seem to be adequate drainage, and as Ynot has noted correct soil is probably one of the most important aspects of bonsai culture.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra26 wrote:
from the comment of a professional ficus bonsaist, he said it was a "Ficus microcarpa - Ginseng"
Yes, JM has mad skills!
basically ive heard retusa, ginseng, microcarpa, and now Salicifolia. basically it's a ficus and the care is pretty much the same but I noticed it is difinitely not as temperamental as a bejammina because it does not drop leaves easily. seems quite hardy at the moment.
I was not saying it was a Salicifolia- Just that I declared my love for the wrong ficus..:lol:
the pot did not have a drainage hole at first, I had to put one in on the bottom by hammering a nail through. it was a tall narrow cylinder shaped pot. about ~6-7 in tall. about 3 in in diameter... it seems like the soil only goes about 1/3 of the way deep into the tall pot. the rest underneath is air space but the water now runs through it fully. I usually water 2/3 times with 10-30mins breaks in between till water flows out. it is well drained, but I know the soil isn't the best so I constantly check with a toothpick. I removed most of the moss/rock already.

Glad you put a hole in it :), IF that were mine I would yank it and get it nestled into some good soil [shallow wide pot] under a bright light... A happy home you know :)...If it were mine...
but basically I want to take it out of the pot and take a look at the root and see what is really going on under the soil. then look into getting an adequate training pot and repotting with good mixed soil and leaving it alone to grow for awhile before I even consider pruning it.
Yep, get it happy 8)

Gnome, I know what you mean, I by no means was implying everbody needs to provide a perfect enviroment [not possible]. Theres nothing wrong at all with trops just 'chilling' [so to speak] all winter. I admit I do like to utilze all my time...[img]https://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9517/whippinvn9.gif[/img]
Just expressing some frustration at hearing on occasion about the mythical 'trop dormancy' when people don't understand that the sluggishness is a symptom of the conditions their in, As opposed to being the condition their in. The myth keeps people from attempting things sometimes...IMO
ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ynot,

Sorry if I came off defensive, it was not my intention. I have to admit that I am relatively inexperienced with Ficus. Your comments have helped me to see things in a new light.

Petra,

I too misunderstood Ynots remarks regarding Salicifolia until I re-read it.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gnome wrote:Ynot,

Sorry if I came off defensive, it was not my intention. I have to admit that I am relatively inexperienced with Ficus.Petra,
I too misunderstood Ynots remarks regarding Salicifolia until I re-read it.
Norm
:?
No Worries at all Gnome,
[ I just don't read you that way-So this quote was a surprise to me..I get read that way on occasion- Sometimes it's a surprise, Sometimes not. :wink:]

That was actually my second attempt at replying [had a cpu crash-So a bit of my frustration came shining through I am afraid :evil:]
Honestly I was concerned about sounding a bit grumpy.
No harm no foul 8)
Your comments have helped me to see things in a new light.
:shock: I hope this is a good thing :P

I think I am just lucky with the ficus...
Last edited by ynot on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petra26
Cool Member

yeah, I would like to give my bonsai a good home, I just don't have a lot of time to do it besides researching while I'm at work :( besides working as a full-time architect and taking differential equations at nights to change careers, I have troubles. so I don't mind the ficus going into a "puesdo" dormant period. but I didn't know that I could repot anytime for a ficus, so I will look into repotting it with a good soil mix and have to find a nice pot during my free time. I took up bonsai and became an aquariumnist at the same time, so I am also worried about my goldfish aswell... :( so time is my only limiting factor... but, I look forward to giving my ficus the optimun conditions. and I will continue to read this forums and other websites that you guys post or I find to help my bonsai during work when I am slacking off :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra,
When you have the time: Here is an inexpensive and easily attainable list of stuff to make your tree happy:
For an inorganic component to your soil [Allthough I use this as the only ingredient for alot of my trees.] Try Schultz aquatic plant soil.
https://www.schultz.com/ProductCategories/Soilsamendments/AquaticPlantSoil/

You can find it at any garden center [H depo, lowes, Any-'Mart'... ect. It is about 7 or 8$ for a 10lb bag [Which will last you through your next half dozen trees, Including repots.:smile:]
Important: I do sift this through a screen and anything that goes through the screen is not used.
I use these screens [Top set on this page: https://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/soil_sieves_screens.html But window screen will do in a pinch.
The most important thing is to remove those fine dust like particles from your mix
If you want some organic in there as well, I suggest Sphagnum moss [See my 4th post here re: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18179#18179

Please read the Sections entitled 'Lumens' & 'Color Temperature' in the excellent article about lighting here: https://www.bonsaichat.org/forums/indoor-bonsai/2046-lighting-primer.html

It is important to place your lights as close as possible to your trees, Here's why:
As I use fluorescent lights Which stay cool to the touch, I drop them literally right on top of the trees. 2" or less is where mine sit and they are on 12 hours a day. [I estmate the costs of running them at way less than 7$ a month btw.]
On the light package you will see 'color temperature' pick a bulb in the 5000degk to 6500degk range.

I use three [with reflectors] that are very similar [if not the same ] as this:
https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44258-3-29394&lpage=none

Note that 'watts' indicate how much energy the bulb uses, not how bright it is.

For a pot, any plastic pot will do. Provided it has acceptable drainage [You can use drywall tape to cover the holes {it is mesh-water flows through it, soil will not}]
If you wish to promote a nice radial root spread you can get a pot that is shallow and broad as then the roots will spead vs. going deep.

Hope this is helpfull,
ynot

Petra26
Cool Member

Gnome wrote:
the pot did not have a drainage hole at first, I had to put one in on the bottom by hammering a nail through.

And also:
I know the soil isn't the best
These are two very good reasons to consider an "out of season" repot. One nail hole does not seem to be adequate drainage, and as Ynot has noted correct soil is probably one of the most important aspects of bonsai culture.

Norm
norm, thank you, very good point. I will try to repot as soon as possible. once I get all my stuff and some time I will repot :D

ynot... also thanx for all the links. ive read them and bookmarked them. I am excited to get this project started :D

ynot
Greener Thumb

Glad to help-Your very welcome,
The links are easy...the rest is up to you... :lol:
ynot

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra,

Lets hear what your little ficus is up to.... An update please 8).

ynot

Petra26
Cool Member

ynot wrote:Petra,

Lets hear what your little ficus is up to.... An update please 8).

ynot
soon, ive got a test tonight after work. won't get home till after 11pm

ynot
Greener Thumb

I look forward to it. [img]https://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/cool/yo.gif[/img]

Later

ynot

:D

Petra26
Cool Member

oh, it has survived the repotting into the newer plastic pot. also it seemed to stop growing for awhile after the repotting and slicing off a good chunk of the fatty storage root at the bottom. but in the recent few weeks the growth has picked up. leaves are big and fat and it is getting much taller. I'm sure I will need to prune in the future to reduce the size.

overall I am glad that its growth has picked up again and survived the repotting/root pruning.

as for conditions, I just place the ficus infront of a window and leave the window open 24/7 and I water it whenever I remember :roll:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Petra,

Glad to hear that your tree is recovering.
as for conditions, I just place the ficus infront of a window and leave the window open 24/7
I'm a little confused about this however. Is your window open this time of year or are you by any chance referring to curtains or shades of some sort? It seems rather cold for the former.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

oh, it has survived the repotting into the newer plastic pot. also it seemed to stop growing for awhile after the repotting and slicing off a good chunk of the fatty storage root at the bottom.
A recovery period is to be expected, You had no problems adjusting to the new soil I take it.
but in the recent few weeks the growth has picked up. leaves are big and fat and it is getting much taller. I'm sure I will need to prune in the future to reduce the size.

overall I am glad that its growth has picked up again and survived the repotting/root pruning.
That is good to hear! It is nice to get feedback on a survival story :)
as for conditions, I just place the ficus in front of a window and leave the window open 24/7 and I water it whenever I remember :roll:
LOL :!:
Gnome, I assure you petra is kidding w/ this statement.

ynot

Petra26
Cool Member

actually I was not kidding. what I ment is that the curtains/blinds are open 24/7 so they get full light.

ynot
Greener Thumb

I think Gnome took it as the window was open, As opposed to the blinds...

As did I ....[Which is why I thought "she must be joking".]

but ok..

ynot :D

Petra26
Cool Member

hi hi. in case anyone was curious, I counted the leaves on my ficus. as of oct '06 it had 27 leaves (originally when I started my rescue in summer '06 only had 2 leaves >_<). as of feb '07 it currently has 39 leaves after a repot and mild root pruning

I will be posting some pictures soon, and updating on the progress of my ficus. I will be asking some more questions about the future of my ficus for the upcoming summer and possibly start some actually pruning and fertilizing. more to come possibly later tonight. along with some questions aswell

:wink:

ynot
Greener Thumb

Petra,

Thanks, I look forward to the update :D

That new soil is working out for you then I take it, Excellent.

ynot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Petra,

I just went back and reviewed this entire thread and the other one you linked to. Your tree looked pretty bad in the picture you posted and now 39 leaves. :D It's good to hear that things are working out for you.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”