inspector290
Newly Registered

My new lilac bush got broken, What should I do?

:cry: Could anyone tell me how to care for my new lilac bush that is now broken. I noticed this morning that the main stem going into the ground looks as if the kids accidently ran over it with the 4wheeler. it's not completely detached but I would like to know if I should tape it up or cut it off and try to root it. I want to save it! someone please help.

Thanks!

gallum90

maybe grafting would work...but I am not really sure as how to help you you could try and root it with a rooting hormone but that depends on how thick the stem is...if its not to thick I think rooting might work

but you should look into it with some one more knowlegable than me

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Inspector,

You say that the main stem is damaged. Are there other stems? If so you may be better off just removing the damaged portion. How long has the shrub been planted and do you consider it to be well established. The reason I ask is that the Lilacs that I am familiar with sucker from the base pretty freely and yours will probably produce a new shoot, or several, in the spring if it is healthy.

I am doubtful about the chances of getting it to root this time of year. There is also the issue of whether Lilacs root better from new or old growth. They sucker so freely I have never tried to root cuttings.

You can try to bind the stem and brace it, it may heal enough to sustain the shrub until new growth appears.

Norm

inspector290
Newly Registered

Thanks Norm,

I just planted it this spring, I'm just getting into plants and shrubs so I've got alot to learn but I wanted to cry when I seen what had happened to my lilac especially since I paid $25 for it. I think I will do as you suggest and bind it and see if it heals. I was afraid of rooting, I was thinking if it did in fact root It wouldn't be the season to plant it unless I kept it going all winter.

Thanks Again! I'll cross my fingers.

Tina

Gnome wrote:Inspector,

You say that the main stem is damaged. Are there other stems? If so you may be better off just removing the damaged portion. How long has the shrub been planted and do you consider it to be well established. The reason I ask is that the Lilacs that I am familiar with sucker from the base pretty freely and yours will probably produce a new shoot, or several, in the spring if it is healthy.

I am doubtful about the chances of getting it to root this time of year. There is also the issue of whether Lilacs root better from new or old growth. They sucker so freely I have never tried to root cuttings.

You can try to bind the stem and brace it, it may heal enough to sustain the shrub until new growth appears.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”