froggy

Wintering on a balcony

I don't have any trees that need wintering yet, but since I only have access to a balcony I've been thinking about how it might be done before I get any :D.

For one thing I thought creating a tent out of plastic against the balcony door.

But today I saw heat mats for seed propagation and thought that might provide the extra few degrees that keep the soil & roots from freezing.

For trees that don't need light, maybe a cooler with a small light bulb for heat might work too.

The the average low temperature here is around -10C, with the lowest extreme being -32C (in 1981).

Any thoughts, input?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

For one thing I thought creating a tent out of plastic against the balcony door.

I don't see why not as long as it's anchored or tied down and won't get blown away by wind. My Japanese maple is sitting on the balcony against the wall without any protection. To make it easier you can buy a nursery tent that consist of a plant rack with clear plastic cover that go over it so you can cover it in the winter and remove it in Spring. The amount of opening is also adjustable by zippers. I got mine online for under $30.

But today I saw heat mats for seed propagation and thought that might provide the extra few degrees that keep the soil & roots from freezing.

Good idea other than the fact it takes electricity.

For trees that don't need light, maybe a cooler with a small light bulb for heat might work too.

It'll have to be a good size cooler with some ventalation. Other wise it may trap heat in there when sun light hits it and confuse the plant(s)

The the average low temperature here is around -10C, with the lowest extreme being -32C (in 1981).

Any thoughts, input?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”