linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Dead or alive anyone?

Hello. I learned from many online readings that Chinese elm needs dormancy so I let it go dorman properly by leaving it outdoors since last Spring. It's been put in this tent since November. I'm surprised it retained most of its leaves and we're in the middle of winter so am I looking at a frozen dead tree or it's because it's in a tent? Would like to take a pole. Although the leaves look dry and brittle they don't come off easily when I yank on them. I've done it this way successfully with my Japanese Maple but never with this elm. And Is it time to bring it in to break the dormancy or? I'm in zone 6a/6b.

[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/Chinese%20elm%2001%2001%202011/CIMG1316.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/Chinese%20elm%2001%2001%202011/CIMG1317.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/malagabee/Chinese%20elm%2001%2001%202011/CIMG1319.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

linlaoboo,

Wow, yours really is still holding on to its leaves. Must be because of the sheltered situation its in. Does it stay pretty warm in that tent? From the looks of it I'm not sure it ever really entered dormancy.

If you have read up on Chinese Elms you know that they are sub-tropical and in mild climates can behave like an evergreen plant. There is no need to bring it inside at all unless you really want to. If you do, you had better have a bright location for it, (possibly including supplemental lighting) otherwise you might be better off leaving it as it is until spring.

Norm

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Hi Norm,

Thanks for looking into this.

This is really interesting cuz the tent's bottom is totally open and the zippers were open until 2nd half of Nov. We've also had low temps int eh 20s and there's still a foot of snow on the ground until today. This location faces south east so it gets alot of sun light for 1st half of the day. I sure hope it got some rest since it did stop putting out new buds since late fall.

It still has a lot of growing to do until the trunk thickens up. I'm just concerned the lack of a real dormancy will weaken the tree. This tree came from a bonsai green house and I have kept it strictly indoors for 2 years until last spring.

I'll look for new buds when things warm up. Knock on wood . . .

midn1352

linlaoboo,

If I had to guess, I'd say your elm didn't die. I live in Zone 8B and my [indoor] chinese elm dropped ALL of its leaves and appeared to dry up and die after a cold snap with no heating in my dorm at the time. I watered it a little because I wasn't sure if it was dead, but within a month Frank exploded in a bunch of little buds. I wouldn't give up hope on yours yet. Besides, I would think that if your elm died, it wouldn't have retained so many of its leaves. I'd keep an eye on it for a while and let it stay outside to see if it drops the rest of its leaves. Good luck!! =]

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I'm just concerned cuz I lost an elm not so long after it was shipped to me when I first got into bonsai. It's the 1st season I'm leaving this one outside.

Here's a mid winter update. We've been in a steady deep freeze here in the northeast and I went out there to add some snow into the pot in order to keep the soil wet. All the leaves in the picture are still on, however, the difference now is they are all dry and crispy and some of them fall off as I comb my fingers through the foliage. I'm pretty sure the tree has finally rested. If I wanted to I can remove every single leaf easily, but I didn't have the time to so I'll let them be for now and hope for the best! Peace.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”