DanW66

I experienced something similar once...

I have a ficus that went through something similar a couple years ago. In December, mine lost all its leaves. I had had it for six years and was terrified I had killed it although I hadn't been doing anything different. A few days later, it started sprouting new leaves and came back just fine. Better even, in that it had more leaves than before.

I thought then and still do that it had something to do with a shortage of light.

I think Fem's post above is more helpful than mine. Just wanted to say that all is not neccessarily lost.

Dan

femlow

Thats very true. Ficus drop leaves pretty easily, but they are almost always some pretty hardy trees and until they are really dead and gone, there is always the chance that they will recover.

karol1996
Newly Registered

Hi Dan I'm going to do what fem said, but she did not mention anything about the moving, today I did it because of all that I read, I told her that it was for 9 months on a table across the front door of my house, and now I moved it to the same room just to another table that is upper Is it ok?

femlow

Sorry, I forgot about that part. When you move it, it will almost certianly change the amount and type of light that the tree is getting, which will stress the tree. Though ficus can adapt very well to different types of lighting, it will often cause them to drop some leaves, and given the problems your tree is already having, it probably could do without the added stress. I would move it back to where it was before, especially if it was doing fine up until recently. A problem with lighting will normally show itself more gradually (normally the leaves will get lighter, or sometimes darker)

fem

Sharp

femlow wrote:Sorry, I forgot about that part. When you move it, it will almost certianly change the amount and type of light that the tree is getting, which will stress the tree. Though ficus can adapt very well to different types of lighting, it will often cause them to drop some leaves, and given the problems your tree is already having, it probably could do without the added stress. I would move it back to where it was before, especially if it was doing fine up until recently. A problem with lighting will normally show itself more gradually (normally the leaves will get lighter, or sometimes darker)

fem
The beauty of a ficus is that it drops leaves. This mechanism of dropping leaves only to regrow a heartier leaf suited for the conditions that caused the initial leaf loss. Although it does have limits, its a hardy tree because of this.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”