manofthetrees

japanese maple snapped help!!!

ive posted this issue in the trees and srub forum but I figured id try here too. after a surprize 4 foot snow storm in early december my red dragon jm was burried. :shock: :( now we are expierencing a thaw and the tree is exposed and I have a big problem. one branch consisting of 50% of the tree and another branch have snapped off,leaving only one branch. can these branches be reattached with grafting techniques ( hormones and wrapping) please help!!! this is a prized tree and is the centerpeice of my little japanese garden in my front yard and would hate to have to move and replace it ,it was expensive and took 6 months to find the "perfect" one

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

manofthetrees,

If the branches are still partially attached I would go ahead and give it a try. What have you got to lose? If they are completely detached I am doubtful that you will be able to repair them. I have never had to deal with such a situation but perhaps you can use black tape wound inside out. It is stretchy and should provide some binding effect. If there is any portion of the tree above the break you may be ale to use that area to help support the damaged section.

I don't believe that any rootng hormone, if that is what you are referring to, will help. Does anyone else have anything to add?

Norm

manofthetrees

thanks Norm,
they are totaly detached and all of the info I have gathered today comes to your same conclusion.looks like I have a new bonsai in the making and another airlayer project this spring...plus another tree hunt

manofthetrees

well the 3 branches I planted from this incident have started sprouting new buds ... the old buds havent changed... does this mean I am on track to having 3 new trees :D .or is this domant energy being released from the light and moisture??? :cry: the branches range from 1/2 to 1 inch at their bases and one of them will be a fantastic start to a cascade style JM so I am really hoping they root

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

manofthetrees,

I'm sorry to say that I suspect that you are seeing a sort of carry over effect, I have experienced similar results in the past. There is enough energy/moisture in the 'cuttings' that they appear to be growing but in actuality they are expending the last of their reserves and will fail in the future. I hope I'm wrong, but...

One thing that I might suggest is to keep them under glass (high humidity) in order to take the stress off the new foliage.

Norm

manofthetrees

:shock: id need a 55 gallon fish tank... they're not small.thats what I figured but I'm not tossing 'em yet

froggy

you could try huge clear plastic bags, like the ones art stores use for mat board... Doesnt have to be glass, just keep in moisture...

did you use a rooting hormone?

manofthetrees

yep used rooting hormone. they are planted in coarse sand and kept very moist... it worked for my ficus cuttings. as for the plastic ,good idea thanks :) , but for the area I am dealing with it would be a major pain

froggy

Pain vs. possible reward - it all depends on how badly you want it :P

manofthetrees

I would end up choking a cat or 2 :lol: they're above my washer and easy to get too :x were the hell is spring already

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”