the collecter

Black Walnuts

I took some walnuts from a tree in the wild and I don't know how to germanate them

if some one could help me out it would be appriciated

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Collecter,

Put them on the ground, stomp with your boot, walk away. I am quite serious, they come up in my yard each spring with no intervention whatsoever. The only real advice I can give you is to leave them out over the winter and don't move them after germination.

If you are intending to grow these for bonsai there are much better choices. Walnuts have large compound leaves not to mention the taproot that most nuts have.

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, in my experience you don't even need to stomp them. Just throw them in the ground. I'm not going to bonsai it but, I've been growing a white walnut for several years now that was started in the ground.

Stomping would probably quicken the process though.

I had thought about bonsai(ing) a walnut a few years ago and the Helpful Gardener (Scott) had the idea of having one nut as the showcase. I think it's a really great idea.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Opabini51,

You wrote:
the Helpful Gardener (Scott) had the idea of having one nut as the showcase.
I'm afraid I don't follow this, what is the showcase?

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That just means that you have one nut on the tree that would be the center of attention. It's not an industry term, just someting I said.

Plus, with a small bonsai, if you have to many fruit on the tree, it may invest to much energy into producing the fruit and suffer so, one nut would be best for that reason as well.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

I don't think the tree would suffer from producing more friut, as long as it has proper sunlight/water

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Opabini,

Thanks for clarifying that. I believe that this technique is known as "full moon".

As far as the stomping goes, I was thinking about what happens to them when I run my lawn tractor over them in early Autumn. They also usually sink in a bit over the winter.

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

With the size of the fruit (nuts), more than one could hamper the shape of the tree and more than one nut would most likely work against the overall look of the tree.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

opabinia51 wrote:With the size of the fruit (nuts), more than one could hamper the shape of the tree and more than one nut would most likely work against the overall look of the tree.
I agree, I was just saying it isnt unhealthy.

the collecter

thanx every one

I have stomped them and left the "fruit" around the "pit" in the center and potted them...I'm going to leave the pot outside over the winter if need be and see what happens in the spring....the leaves on my future wallnut trees are small and pointed (this is what the leaves from the parrent tree in which I got the nut from looked like) this is how I know what it will look like and this is why I chose this for bonsai

thanks again every one...I'll keep you posted on their progress when I see some

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”