RedKestrel

Planning a root-over-fossil, what type of tree should I use?

Heh, I'm rather new to bonsai, but I've been hanging around here for a bit and I've seen a few root-over-rock bonsais I thought I'd try to use a fossil that is screaming at me to do a bonsai on it!

I've got pictures! :D

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_PngHbpepnV0/TQOm7l8BbfI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/wZqjPTFyECE/s576/Fossil.jpg[/img]
the fossil part is about 2 inches across... possibly the largest fossil I've found outside a museum. I found it at my old house in NM before I moved to MN. Hah, I remember being terribly close to trying to bash off the excess rock, which might have destroyed the entire thing or made it too small for bonsai use. but I didn't! *phew!* :roll:

[img]https://lh5.ggpht.com/_PngHbpepnV0/TQOm8PR5ORI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/gClJfwUxVzw/fossil2.jpg[/img]

So, any suggestions on what kind tree I should use to get the best possible effect out of my bonsai-to-be?

Since it's a fossil, I figured an ancient-looking tree would work great, but I'm no expert and I'd like to do a tree that is easy for beginners and takes root-over-rock nicely. I was thinking some kind of coniferous tree would look good, but I don't know how well those do root-over-rock and how good they are for beginners... Really, whatever you think will work for this I'll look into. :)

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

I'm pretty new to the whole Bonsai thing, but I believe for that rock, it could use a Chinese Elm. I'm not sure how it would form onto a rock like that but you would have to research it.

I wasn't sure how old this species is so I looked it up.
[url]https://www.bonsaisite.com/chineseelm.html[/url]

It might help. I'm not sure.

Hope it helps, and goodluck.

froggy

Color wise I thought a japanese maple would look nice with that rock, but since you're a beginner (as am I) it might not be the easiest tree from what I've read...
Something really really green could do well too, like a ficus...

I'd suggest to do a few 'test runs' with other trees and rocks before you go to the one special to you, that way you'll have more knowledge and control over the end result...

And if you don't want to wait (oops patience is such a big part of the bonsai culture) you'll have to look at what environment you are able to provide for the tree - indoors or outdoors?
One big questions is: Are you able to winter it outside or in a cold place?
-> Yes, then look at what grows locally and google for pictures...
-> No, then look at tropical plants you can take inside over the winter months.

Good luck :)

Karin

joedes3

Schefflera works well with root over the rock and it is very easy plant to work with.

Marsman
Green Thumb

I agree with Joe, go with a Sheff. I've got a few RoR's going right now with Sheffs. They are very hardy and grow quickly.

RedKestrel

I'd never really paid attention to schefflera until it was mentioned, and I think it would work perfectly. Chinese elm and Japanese maple look nice too, but just by the names I can tell they aren't really native to the U.S. and if I go with schefflera I can at least give an ambiguous answer as to the origins of the trees compared to the origins of the fossil. (a little ocd? :lol: ) Actually, I really love the look of those japanese maples, but I don't know that they'd grow anywhere near my zone 3 Minnesota home or indoors very well :?. Schefflera look like what I might imagine when I think of jurassic plants, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one at local nurseries.

And I'll deffinitely take Froggy's advice and do some test runs before doing anything with the fossil. There's plenty of rocks around here that are interesting, though many are smooth river-rocks. I've got a fist-sized black agate, I wonder how that might work for one...

And are other maples also tough for beginners? I know there's a lot of red and other types of maples, lots and lots of birch trees, and I plan on abducting as many small trees as I can find on my dad's hunting property, hopefully I can get some good practice plants there. Can't wait until spring!

applestar
Mod

Heh. I have a totally different perspective on this -- hope you'all don't mind.
It seems to me that overriding concern here is to *showcase* the fossil. This would determine how the tree is positioned and demand careful choice of appropriate species that will dictate the kind of environment the tree -- and the rock -- is exposed to.

For instance, I wouldn't choose anything that would require it to be left outside all winter, buried in mulch or no.

For that reason alone, indoor bonsai like Schefflera seems like a good choice to me. :wink: It might also provide a faint echo of of the "prehistoric" jungle.... :)

RedKestrel

It might also provide a faint echo of of the "prehistoric" jungle....
hah, yes exactly! :D

I agree that it should be an indoor bonsai, I certainly wouldn't be happy if the cold got into the rock and cracked the fossil off!

And from the sounds of things, schefflera is good for beginners too. Schefflera it is! :D Woo! Glad an easy solution arose so quickly. I think I'll look into getting one asap and then keep it as a houseplant for a bit before taking some off to make a bonsai out of. That way, if I kill the bonsai, I can get another chunk off of the houseplant and start over.

froggy

Was jsut idling and saw [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20201]this[/url], figured you might take some inspiration from it....

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”