boykonick
Newly Registered

Bonsai tree repotting

I purchased a ficus microcarpa ginseng tree and have been watering it by submerging the pot and soil in water. I have noticed that mold has begun to grow on the soil. Searching this forum, I have read that submerging to water is ill advised and the proper way to water is to spray with a spray bottle until water runs out of the bottom of the pot, wait ten minutes and repeat, then again for a third time as final watering. I would like to begin watering this way but read somewhere that to change the way you water, it is best to repot your plant before you change watering. My question here is whether it is necessary to repot and if it is, what is the best way to do this and what the best soil is for the plant. Thank you.

JTred
Green Thumb

Submerging in water really isn't that bad, it sounds like you are watering too often. You should wait until the soil is almost completely dry. Also, when watering from above I don't think a spray bottle would quite give you enough water to be practical. I just toss my tree in the sink and turn the faucet on until completely saturated and water is coming out of the bottom. Is your soil dense and peaty or is it free flowing and mostly inorganic?

Try reading this post, though if you have a dense, peaty, organic mix things will be a bit different.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

Marsman
Green Thumb

I keep two of these at my desk at work. They are in standard bonsai soil with a touch of peat, less than 1/8 of the mixture. I water them from the top like a 'normal' plant twice a week. Just enough to see water seeping out from the bottom of the pot. I do mist them once a week as well.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Double%20Ficus/cdae92aa.jpg[/img]

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Since I have a Ginseng Ficus, I water it like what he said a 'normal' plant and I usually mist it with a hair spray bottle (small size) mostly for the leaves but I spray the roots too just in case.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”