~anna~
Newly Registered

Care for Baby Jade Bonsai in Tropical Climate?

:?
I posted this under the Introduction forum, but it probably would be better here...sorry! Still getting used to my way around this site.

My husband I are living in the DR as full-time missionaries. Yesterday we purchased a small bonsai tree at a grocery store (of all places) I have searched and determined that it is a *Baby Jade*.

From the store that it was purchased, I am sure it was shipped in from France. It appears to be healthy. From the top of the pot it stands approximately 8" tall with branches formed on all but one side.
No drooping branches, although there is one branch that sits quite low that I would like to remove. This particular branch extends about 4" and has 2 very small braches coming off it (each has 4-6 leaves). Would it be okay to remove this branch where it attaches to the trunk? If so, can I stick it into soil? Will it reroot?

My main concern is the dirt it is in. It is very hard, very dense and very dry. I gave it a small drink last night and the water seemed to run right thru.

We live on the southern coast of the DR, and get a very strong morning sun on our balcony, but to keep our apartment cooler I have a sheer curtain shielding the balcony. From about 10AM on the sun is no longer directly on the balcony. I was thinking of placing it on a table on this balcony. (This balcony does have a roof)

As you can tell, I am totally new to this bonsai tree experience. So any help, tips, thoughts, etc would be greatly appreciated.

~anna~

froggy

Hi Anna,

I am pretty new to this myself, but here's a link to another part of the forum which might help you out:

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479[/url]

it covers watering etc. other than that, look up the specific species of your tree and what it requires.
One thing though, if the tree has previously been indoors (store) do not put it straight out into the sun. it will need a transition, a few hours in the early morning or afternoon, gradually building over time to a whole day outside...

good luck :)

Karin

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Anna,

Baby Jade or Portulacaria afra (you should google that to make sure we are talking about the same species) is an easy to grow succulent that should do well for you. You can remove the branch and expect a good result. This plant will even tolerate drastic pruning so a radical redesign is possible. Yes, the cuttings are easy to root and soon you will be giving them away.

Being a succulent, it stores water in its fleshy stems and leaves, this means somewhat infrequent watering. You will often read about full sized Jades not being watered for weeks, or even longer, and Ports will tolerate this as well but I have found that they prefer to be watered more frequently than their larger cousins, Crassulas. Still, you should definitely allow the soil to dry completely before you water. If the leaves shrivel you have waited a little too long, but don't worry they will plump right back up after watering.

Since the soil is in a bad condition, repotting is in order. Make sure to read our thread concerning bonsai soils before you take any action. Also, if you wish it to grow faster, a larger pot is something to consider. This depends upon your wishes for its future and the current size of the pot. This is your decision, if you are pleased with the plant/pot combination it could very likely be returned to the same pot with fresh soil.

Bonsai in development are usually grown out in shallow, but broad, grow boxes/pots. In your climate you could even plant it out in the garden, soemething that is not possible for me. Ground planting is an even faster way to gain bulk although it is a long term project.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”