gallum90

cuttings

hi I'm only 15 and really want to get into bonsai I have always loved it...well ne ways I have made a cuting off a tree I took today about 8 inches long and it looks health and I diped it in rooting hormone and followed all the instructions to the best of my knowlege. and its wraped in plastic to make it nice and moiste...the problem is that I don't know when or how I will know if my plant has taken root!!!! and ireally want this to work I searched for ever for the right cuting

thanks, chris

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,

The usual advice is to look for new growth, you can also give the cutting a gentle tug and if you feel resistance it has probably taken. This will take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Some species are very difficult to root. Some plants do better from cuttings taken from new growth, the season for which has now passed. You should always try to give the most information you can. For instance what species are you working with?

While I work with cuttings and seeds you should be aware that these methods are long term projects. There are other ways to approach bonsai. Trees are collected from the wild, with permission, or from the urban landscape. Nursery trees and shrubs are another route. You can also purchase a tree that already has had some work done on it or even a "finished" tree.

You should do some research over the winter and begin fresh next year. You are young and have many years ahead of you if you stay with bonsai. Good luck.

Sorry I don't have a web-site or an E-book to hawk.

Norm

gallum90

so theres no hope for my tree?

could I air layer a bonsai over the winter

and if I collect them from the wild how big should I get them? and when

I think I am working with box elder and is there ne way I can od my plant on growth hormone or another type of plant food I could put in the soil to give it better hope...cause I live in the city mostly and its hard for me to get out in the woods and theres not really ne shops I could poke around in.

(not to mention I got poison ivy from that darned forest)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,

You wrote:
so theres no hope for my tree?
I am not personaly familiar with this species but a little quick research reveals that Semi-hardwood cutting taken in summer can root in 5-7 weeks. This will put you well into October, rather late in the season to become established enough to overwinter safely. Here is a link that can aid in your identification.

[url]https://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/trees/Aceneg01.HTM[/url]

The general consensus is that this is far from an ideal bonsai species, although some have tried it. I would suggest that since you have so little time and effort invested in this plant so far that you reconsider and look into a more suitable species. There are other Acers that are much more likely candidates. Japanese and/or Trident Maples are superior.

Air layering is done in spring or early summer.

You can collect material of any size, usually in the spring as well, but to my thinking if you are going to the trouble to collect you should look for something above average, not simply seedlings.

Surely there are nurseries in your area, even Lowes or Home Depot offer potted trees. In fact you can sometimes get bargains in the fall. Of course you will not be able to work most species now anyway, so again I will suggest that you start your research now and begin in earnest in the spring.

Norm

gallum90

thanks for all your help,

so if it roots this will be a gr8 practice tree so next spring when I find the perfect tree I can take better steps into ensuring its good up raising.

and thanks again and once I figure out how to post pics and work my stupid camera was going to post a few pics of my cutting and possible bonsai

the collecter

gallum90 wrote:so theres no hope for my tree?

could I air layer a bonsai over the winter

and if I collect them from the wild how big should I get them? and when

I think I am working with box elder and is there ne way I can od my plant on growth hormone or another type of plant food I could put in the soil to give it better hope...cause I live in the city mostly and its hard for me to get out in the woods and theres not really ne shops I could poke around in.

(not to mention I got poison ivy from that darned forest)

I don't know if any one has mentioned this to you but instead of going out to the woods for cuttings and saplings (because you live in the city) you could bonsai just about any tree using nursery stock
cheap trees can be bought at a hardwear store such as Lowes (where I get most of my supplies) - I bought a Japanese Juniper from a nursery a few months ago...it is potted and pruned and doing very well - this is an easy way to get a jumpstart on you bonsai tree
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A "BONSAI TREE" just a small tree to convert

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”