mrbaily
Newly Registered

Golden Gate Ficus dropped all its leaves.

Hi all I have a question that I'm hoping has a quick answer. I have a Ficus Bonsai ( said it was a golden gate) It was doing great, I keep it in the office on a window sill where it gets good sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. The leaves were a bit thin ( in density) but then all of the sudden a few days ago the leaves started to curl, brown and fall off. By the second day it had lost all its leaves. I'm in Los Angeles, and it has been getting pretty chilly at night, well chilly for these parts. I'm suspecting that since the tree was up against the window, that perhaps it didn't like the chill coming through the glass and dropped its leaves? It has no leaves now and I'm wondering what I can do to help the plant get through this period and survive. Some of the branches are looking a bit dehydrated ( shriveled?) as well.
Any new help would be greatly appreciated. The last time, I turned to THG, you all provided awesome advice for my other Bonsai when it was struggling.

Thanks
Baily

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Baily,

Sorry your post got overlooked until now. I don't have a lot of experience with Ficus but I do have some. I have allowed the variety I grow to stay outside when overnight temperatures dipped into the lower 40's with no apparent ill effects so you might look elsewhere for the source of your problem. I only have one variety, F. benjamina 'Mini Lucie' so take that into account.

Did any heating source come on during the cold snap? Hot dry air can cause problems. Underwatering, or perhaps even overwatering, may be possibilities as well. The underwatering thing is obvious but overwatering (too often) can damage roots which then cannot take up enough water so the end result is similar.

Can you describe the soil? Is it coarse and loose or finely textured and dense? Dense soils can lead to problems with watering. Again, it could go either way. Dense soils retain a lot of water and if you water too frequently the soil never gets a chance to dry out. On the other hand, dense soils can be difficult to wet properly and the core of the rootball may not be moist at all.

Evaluate the soil and perhaps even slip the tree from the pot to take a look at the rootball. Let us know what you find.

You can place the tree in E.R. by putting it into a tent (clear plastic bag) to help keep the humidity up while it recovers. remember that a tree without foliage will not use water as would a healthy one and in the bag it will use even less.

Norm

mrbaily
Newly Registered

Hi Norm,
Thanks for the reply. I have put the tree into an E.R tent as advised, nothing really has changed much, still no leaves, but I think I'm starting to see the very beginnings of new growth, but its quite possible these are optimistic delusions :)
As far as the trees soil is concerned, its the same soil that the tree came to me in about 3-ish months ago. it is kind of gravely, I wouldn't describe it as "fine and dense" as you put it. I was told by others on this site (when I posted pictures of a similar tree I was having trouble with) that the soil looked to be "good bonsai soil" it drains pretty quickly from what I can tell, and the tree that we are talking about came from the same source so the soil is pretty much the same. I have noticed that lately the soil has been drying out much more quickly. It's kind of tricky to get the tree out of the pot b/c it looks like the company has wired the tree to the pot, and to get it all the way out of the pot would require me to remove the tick gauge wire that is bound through the roots. As the tree is pretty stressed right now do you think this is a good idea?
I really appreciate your help Norm, as these trees were a gift and I'm pretty sure one has already died. I really want to do all I can to help the second one.

Baily

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Baily,
I have put the tree into an E.R tent as advised, nothing really has changed much, still no leaves, but I think I'm starting to see the very beginnings of new growth, but its quite possible these are optimistic delusions
Only a few days had passed between our recent exchange so don't panic, give it some time. Make sure to open the tent a few minutes each day to allow some fresh air inside.
As far as the trees soil is concerned, its the same soil that the tree came to me in about 3-ish months ago. it is kind of gravely, I wouldn't describe it as "fine and dense" as you put it. I was told by others on this site (when I posted pictures of a similar tree I was having trouble with) that the soil looked to be "good bonsai soil" it drains pretty quickly from what I can tell, and the tree that we are talking about came from the same source so the soil is pretty much the same...It's kind of tricky to get the tree out of the pot b/c it looks like the company has wired the tree to the pot, and to get it all the way out of the pot would require me to remove the tick gauge wire that is bound through the roots. As the tree is pretty stressed right now do you think this is a good idea?
If you feel that the soil is in good condition and draining well then perhaps it would be best to leave well enough alone. I was just looking for more information.
I have noticed that lately the soil has been drying out much more quickly.
The only time that I have ever noticed the nature of my soil changing quickly is when I have added something to it, like soild organic fertilizer, drainage slowed and the soil dried more slowly, not more quickly. You mentioned that you have had a colder than usual spell. Is it possible that some form of heating is coming on when you are not at the office? Other than that, all I can think of is that perhaps you simply were not watering it frequently, or thoroughly, enough.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”