Amadeo
Newly Registered

Ficus Bonsai in 100+ degree heat

A question for anyone:

I have two ficus bonsai and I would like to leave them outside for best light and air. However, I live in Austin, TX where it is continually 100+ degrees outside every day during the summer. My ficus' never get complete full sun, only filtered sun in the morning and no harsh late afternoon sun, but I'm worried that the extreme general heat might harm them.

Should I keep them inside where they can get the best light? or can they withstand the heat?

Thanks,

Yusef

Sharp

Amadeo wrote:A question for anyone:

I have two ficus bonsai and I would like to leave them outside for best light and air. However, I live in Austin, TX where it is continually 100+ degrees outside every day during the summer. My ficus' never get complete full sun, only filtered sun in the morning and no harsh late afternoon sun, but I'm worried that the extreme general heat might harm them.

Should I keep them inside where they can get the best light? or can they withstand the heat?

Thanks,

Yusef

Hi Yusef,

I think the range is generally thought as safe is 55-100 deg F. That being said, I think its very important to emphasis that sudden changes will cause it stress. It'll drop leaves but if the ranges aren't too extreme then it should do fine.

I live in Utah with the summers averaging highs of 105. My ficus was put outdoors in spring so it had time to acclimate gradually. While a 2nd ficus I have was in a greenhouse and I put it out and it dropped a few leaves. (However its not so hot anymore). Both recieve great morning sun and are shaded during the afternoon heat. So be sure to water enough, offer enough humidity (although they can tolerate lower lvls), keep em out of the hot hot afternoon sun and I'd imagine they will do well.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”