froggy

Good size tree to start with?

Hey there, I'm a newbie :D

when I first got a fish tank, I was told a 100 liter tank is easier for newbies than a 30 liter one (reason being it has a more stable eco system)...

now I am wondering: is there a size tree that is better suited for newbies than another? I read a 'normal' tree in about a gallon container would work well to start with, any opinions?

I am planning to start a few cuttings (lilac, willow and birch, maybe maple) this spring - if I can get them to grow to a decent size, I'm sure I learn enough to keep them alive whilst training...

but I was also thinking of getting a couple of plants to work on whilst the others grow...

So, what size would you recommend?

(looking at ficus and maybe a hibiscus or something else flowering (to get in spring))

thanks

Karin

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Karin,

when I first got a fish tank, I was told a 100 liter tank is easier for newbies than a 30 liter one (reason being it has a more stable eco system)...
There is a similar concept in bonsai. In general a larger tree will not be as effected by fluctuations in the moisture of the soil or temperatures swings. So, yes, a larger tree is more stable than smaller sizes. Mame bonsai, for instance, require a more assiduous approach to their care or they can easily suffer.
is there a size tree that is better suited for newbies than another? I read a 'normal' tree in about a gallon container would work well to start with, any opinions?
I'm not certain of the intent of the writer but often a one gallon size is suggested as a good compromise in size and price. A one gallon nursery tree is a reasonable size to choose if you intend to style your first tree. It won't cost and arm and a leg, should be readily available and if (when :?: :wink: ) you kill it, it won't devastate you emotionally.
I am planning to start a few cuttings (lilac, willow and birch, maybe maple) this spring - if I can get them to grow to a decent size, I'm sure I learn enough to keep them alive whilst training...
I read in your introduction that you are growing on a balcony, which means that you have limited space. Is that correct? If so, you may want to reconsider growing from cuttings or seeds for that matter. You will make better use of your space if you start with larger, more established material like the one gallon starters you mentioned above. Better to have a few decent bonsai than numerous small plants that will take years to grow out.
but I was also thinking of getting a couple of plants to work on whilst the others grow... So, what size would you recommend?
I like this approach better. Start with as large a plant as you can manage/afford and cut it down. This is one of the fundamentals of bonsai. Buy a large trunk and make the smallest bonsai that you can from the material at hand. This ratio (short but thick) helps to give the illusion of a larger tree. You must know your material though as not all plants will resond to this treatment.

Of course, if you are going to buy a tree that is already styled, choose a planting that appeals to you based on availablilty, cost, size and your personal preference.

Norm

froggy

Thanks Norm,

I'll definitely keep that in mind. :)
I still want to start some cuttings, as for me, the part of growing it myself is pretty much as appealing as the styling part, and way less frightening ;)
But yeah, we had our first snowfall today, so I've got some time to figure out what I want to do with my balcony space....

I'm thinking I'll get a ficus and a couple of tropicals for indoors to start with - I've already got the lighting setup (for photography) and my studio could do with some livening up...

Cheers

Karin

koiboy01

Hi,
It is better to start with two or three trees so that you have more to have a go at, because if you only had one you could kill it by doing to much cutting ,prunning and wireing, as I know that when you first get into the hobby your fingers are itching to get things done.BUT bonsai is a slow patient hobby.
koiboy01

froggy

ah but then we might be looking at mass murder :p j/k

I can see how the 'itchy finger syndrome' might take over once I've actually got a tree to work on, so a few to start with is definitely a good idea - shifts the focus from the plant that has just been groomed onto the next :)

but since I pretty much have no idea how to go about anything but watering and potting them, I'll be taking it a baby step at a time...

thanks

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”