Phil L.R

Chrysanthemum bonsai: How to make one?

I've heard and seen some images of chrysanthemum bonsai on the web, and I was wondering if anyone can help me make one, since I bought a pot of chrysanthemums (a small white flowering variety) that came with four plants which I divided and planted in four diferent pots.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Phil,

I've made several attempts tp work with Mums without a much success. Here is a thread that discusses several methods. Have a look at that first.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30397&highlight=mum#30397

Norm

Phil L.R

Thank you very much, Gnome, I have read everything on there and now I am more interested in it.
I have also noticed that everyone that participated in that disccusion are referring to very low temperatures in the winter as the main problem of making one (without the use of a greenhouse, which was told in the topic). But now I have two problems in my head:
-What if someone were to live in the tropics where there is no harsh winter time? Would it be possible to grow one since it wouldn't die back?
-I've seen many references to the "overwinter" method used, but is it possible to grow these plants in pots year round?

Anyways, what truely interests me in the use of this species as a bonsai specimen is it's unusual floral design which would serve me greatly to create good flowering bonsai.

applestar
Mod

It sounds to me, as is the case with most bonsai, that the first step will be to see if you can grow your 4 plants for a full year. :wink:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Phil L.R

I have never grown Mums, or anything else for that matter, outside of this area so I don't know how well Mums will do in your area. Here is a link to the grower that was mentioned in the thread I referred you to earlier.

https://www.kingsmums.com/

And here are some varieties that are well suited for use as bonsai.

Click the picture:

I'm sure that they will be able to advise you as to a good variety for your area.

Norm

Phil L.R

Thank you very much, Gnome. I will do some research about these plants in order to find a suitable variety to work with, and I have a nearby mega flower shop where I can get good plants, so now all I have to do is work with the ones I have.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”