hgiljr
Newly Registered

PonyTail Palm Bonsai

Hello all. I have a PonyTail Palm that is about 3 years old. At least it has been with me for this amount of time. Recently I saw that it was beginning to become yellowish and the leaves if that is what they are considered would easily fall off by just touching them. As if the tree was dying or rotting. I decided to replant it since it was next to a large palm tree so I thought it was not getting enough water/fertilizer. I replanted into a pot and it has gotten worse. I checked the roots when I replanted and seemed fine. They looked like a spider web around the trunk. If that is normal not sure. Either way, what am I doing wrong? I know they should not be watered much and need sunlight. Bad thing I am in Miami where it constantly rains during the summer. I wanted attached a picture but do not see the feature to import one. Any advise would be great. What fertilizer should I use?

AngusS
Newly Registered

The ponytail palm takes its name from its resemblance to hair cascadeing out of a ponytail. It's also called a "bottle palm" because its trunk becomes a bottle like bulb at soil level. Because of its massive size the plants are mostly root-bound. While they can store water in their bulb, and use their water slowly, they probably don't have a lot of soil in their pot. If the roots become too dry the lower leaves turn brown or yellow and the plant looks a little ashy.

Remove discolored lower leaves. Do not trim brown off the ends. Brown is normal and more cutting will produce more brown, plus a jagged edge.

Do not water a ponytail palm growing in a pot until it has become slightly dry.

Fertilizer
Feed your ponytail palm a 6-6-6 fertilizer two times a year. Do not use a high nitrogen fertilizer on it.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”