Agent Q
Newly Registered

Zanthoxylum

I have a tree and all I really know about it is that it is from the Zanthoxylum family. The one that I have has very small rounded leaves if that helps to identify it further, but I would be very grateful for any information about the family of plants and the correct care for the plant.

Thanks.

Rick H.

AngusS
Newly Registered

Zanthoxylum (from the Greek ξανθὸν ξύλον, "yellow wood") is a genus of about 250 species of deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs in the family Rutaceae, native to warm temperate and subtropical areas worldwide. Common names include prickly-ash and hercules' club.

The fruit of several species are used to make the spice Sichuan Pepper.

Cultivation details
Easily grown in loamy soils in most positions, but prefers a good deep well-drained moisture retentive soil in full sun or semi-shade. A very ornamental plant, it is hardy to about -15°c. Flowers are formed on the old wood. The bruised leaves are amongst the most powerfully aromatic of all leaves. Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required. Self-sown seedlings have occasionally been observed growing in bare soil under the parent plant.

Propagation
Seed - best sown in a greenhouse as soon as it is ripe in the autumn. Stored seed may requires up to 3 months cold stratification, though scarification may also help. Sow stored seed in a cold frame as early in the year as possible. Germination should take place in late spring, though it might take another 12 months. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and grow them on in a cold frame for their first winter. Plant them out in early summer. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame. Root cuttings, 3cm long, planted horizontally in pots in a greenhouse. Suckers, removed in late winter and planted into their permanent positions.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”