fedh
Newly Registered

Japanese Juniper Dormancy period question????

I have a 4 year juniper tree, outside in the balcony, this is my first year with it, and right now we are in november and suddenly I noticed his leafs got like toasted, you can take them away with your hand easily, but they are not brown, they are still dark green, so I don't know if I did some mistake and just killed it, or its just entering the dormancy period??? how do you know its in its dormancy???

many thanx

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

fedh,

Hello and welcome. Unfortunately, that does not sound normal to me.

Was it allowed to dry out for any length of time? Did you keep it on the balcony since you had it or did it spend some time indoors? Junipers are ill suited to being kept inisde and are known to react slowly. If you had it inside it may have been stressed then and may just be showing it now.

I also wonder about the balcony since it is, presumably, open to cold air on five sides. Without the moderating influence of the earth a small pot can get very cold for extended periods of time. Of course your location has some bearing on this as well.

Norm

fedh
Newly Registered

thanx for answering Norm,

Well, it always been outside, I'm in mexico, so we don't have cold winters in the northern part, I got the tree in february, so this is my first winter, I don't know how to see if its entering his dormancy, if you can tell any things to look it will help.

I read that if you scratch the tree and its green, then its still alive, so I did it yesterday and it was green, may be a good sign, but the leafs are hard like toasted, can easily fall with your fingers, but they are not brown, at least not yet...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”