joedes3

winter shed

Could you just set up some cinder blocks around Junipers as a winter protection against the winter wind? Would this work? The blocks are inexpensive and could be moved at the end of the winter.

For other plnats you could put a piece of wood over the top for protection.

Just a thought for people who don't have a shed but have some room for a temporary shelter.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Joe,

The roots of your trees are the areas that you need to protect. The wind break is a good thing but you will still need to insulate the roots. Make sure you mulch the pots in well. You can even push snow up around your 'bunker' that will help greatly.

Norm

joedes3

Thanks! That is what I was thinking, making a bunker type of shelter then put the plants in and cover with leaves. I figured the cinder blocks would block the wind.

When it snows the cover with snow.

manofthetrees

I was told leaves are a bad idea becuase they create mold. ive been refered by a bonsai grower that pine needles are great too use ...if you have access to them ....they do not harber mold and do not retain water

TomM
Greener Thumb

Leaves get very wet & heavy and pack down tightly during the winter. Pine needles and pine bark mulch offer better protection, and drain well.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Guys,

I have been using leaves with good results for several years now. This is mostly because it is what I have available to me in the quantity I need. I do shred the leaves with a mower first and find that this helps to avoid the possibility of matting which is a valid concern.

In al honesty though, they do stay pretty damp and I have occasionally lost plants. I can usually attribute a loss to something stupid I have done such as leave a newly seperated air layer outside when it should have been in the garage.

Norm

joedes3

Would a bag of mulch work better than leaves?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”