lisarene
Newly Registered

Why are my Bonsai Leaves Turning Brown?

I have a bonsai tree that is an evergreen. I have owned it for over 1 yr and recently noticed the tips of several branches are turning brown. What is wrong, please help! I don't want to loose my tree! :shock:

Sharp

the most likely factors are either not enough sun or water.

Can you describe some of those variables? Where is it? inside outside? How are you watering it and how often?

lisarene
Newly Registered

Sharp wrote:the most likely factors are either not enough sun or water.

Can you describe some of those variables? Where is it? inside outside? How are you watering it and how often?
I have been watering it with the spray attachment from my kitchen sink daily, as instructed by the people whom I purchased it, last year. I have been keeping it indoors, although I set it outside in the sun almost every day for several hours at a time. Like I said I havent had any trouble until just recently with my bonsai. also, do you think I need to repot it? I havent repotted since I purchased it. the instruction sheet given to me stated I should repot once each yr. I have noticed some of the soil is receeding from the pot.

thank you :lol:

Sharp

What kind of tree is it? If I were to guess it'd be a juniper.

Evergreens are not good indoors. Full sun is usually required. Watering is best done by testing the soil first, a toothpick or bamboo skewer work great, checking for dampness etc. Overwatering can result in rootrot, while underwatering will kill it for sure. Those are evident by dry and brittle branches. Also they love a winter dormant period. Being able to have some cold dormant months to rest as it were. (although I doubt that this is whats wrong with your tree)

My guess is its not getting enough sun. But again, thats a guess really without knowing more.

Perhaps its the water? I know softwater chemicals can be hard on my plants, I have to avoid tap water in my home.

Check the status for the rest of the tree. You said only the ends were turning brown. This is good as far as progression is concerned.

So, asking more details....even a picture is very helpful.

lisarene
Newly Registered

Sharp wrote:What kind of tree is it? If I were to guess it'd be a juniper.

Evergreens are not good indoors. Full sun is usually required. Watering is best done by testing the soil first, a toothpick or bamboo skewer work great, checking for dampness etc. Overwatering can result in rootrot, while underwatering will kill it for sure. Those are evident by dry and brittle branches. Also they love a winter dormant period. Being able to have some cold dormant months to rest as it were. (although I doubt that this is whats wrong with your tree)

My guess is its not getting enough sun. But again, thats a guess really without knowing more.

Perhaps its the water? I know softwater chemicals can be hard on my plants, I have to avoid tap water in my home.

Check the status for the rest of the tree. You said only the ends were turning brown. This is good as far as progression is concerned.

thank you for your quick reply!!! I will research wht kind of bonsai I have, and get back to u

once again thanks for the reply! :D

lisarene
Newly Registered

lisarene wrote:
Sharp wrote:What kind of tree is it? If I were to guess it'd be a juniper.

thank you for your quick reply!!! I will research wht kind of bonsai I have, and get back to u

once again thanks for the reply! :D
Hey Sharp!

just found out I have a rock juniper. will this help??

Sharp

Hi lisarene,

Yes that helps. :D

How is the progression of browing? Is it getting worse?

My suggestions still stand.

Make sure its getting plenty of sunlight. More than 2hours I'm afraid. But keep it out of a window sill that can bake em pretty easily. Idealy put it outside in an area that gets great morning sun but is shielded from the hot afternoon sun. At least for now. Normally then can tollerate full sun, and they are pretty hardy, but id be careful for it not to dry out.

Check the soil before you water. Alot of times we can panic by overwatering the tree at this point. Be careful not to do this. I use a bamboo shoot and if there is any moist soil when I remove it, I don't water. Or rather its too soon.

Of course, if anyone else has anything else I'm not thinking of...by all means. I'm no expert, I just have killed a few junipers in my time. :shock: :shock:

lisarene
Newly Registered

Sharp wrote:Hi lisarene,

Yes that helps. :D

How is the progression of browing? Is it getting worse?

My suggestions still stand.

Make sure its getting plenty of sunlight. More than 2hours I'm afraid. But keep it out of a window sill that can bake em pretty easily. Idealy put it outside in an area that gets great morning sun but is shielded from the hot afternoon sun. At least for now. Normally then can tollerate full sun, and they are pretty hardy, but id be careful for it not to dry out.

Check the soil before you water. Alot of times we can panic by overwatering the tree at this point. Be careful not to do this. I use a bamboo shoot and if there is any moist soil when I remove it, I don't water. Or rather its too soon.

Of course, if anyone else has anything else I'm not thinking of...by all means. I'm no expert, I just have killed a few junipers in my time. :shock: :shock:
:D well, the progress is this, only a few tips on a couple of branches are brown. it doesnt seem to be getting worse :o sunlight is probably the reason, have you seen our forcast? :shock: its been raining non-stop for over a week, now. I live an hour away from amarillo texas. also, I didnt know about testing the soil with a toothpick. did today, and soil was sticking to the pick, normally, id just have watered it, like I said, the people whom I purchased it, instructed me to water ea day.

I really thank you for your advise, :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”