the collecter

Overwintering??

This is the first year I've had my bonsai trees (and I have many now) so a garden is needed I know. I am in the process of making a Japanese style garden in my back yard. Since this is my first year doing this my garden is not ready and I don't have the matterials right now to continue to create my vission I have for this garden (it will take years to perfect).

My question:
All my plants are taken from the wild (they were outside trees), since my garden isn't finished I have no where to put my trees in the winter, what should I do with my trees during the winter months?

My tree inventory incudes:
Poplars
Mimosas
Rowans
Juniper
Ceders
Japnese Maples
And a few other unidentified trees I picked up from the wooded areas around my house

I know I can't bring in my juniper but with no garden what do I do with it and the rest of my trees?

All feedback is greatly appriciated
~the collecter~
The world would be much more peacefull if every one had a Bonzai

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Some people bury their trees ( pot and all) in soil or sawdust. If you have glazed pots, this is not an option because they will crack. But, placing the trees in a sheltered area and placing the straw around the pots to insultate them works well. Another option is to place the trees (including pot) into a larger pot and insulate this pot with some straw as well.

Don't forget to water your trees this winter. They need a lot less water in the winter but, they still need water.

All trees need their dormant period so, don't take them inside. The HG moves his trees inside his garage.

Lots of options

Gnome
Mod

Collector,

Another option is to remove the tree from the pot and plant it out in your garden in a temporary place until spring. Not to beat a dead horse, but the problem of overwintering can be easliy solved by planting your trees in your garden for a few years. Young and collected trees need several years of undisturbed qrowth in order to recover and/or put on some growth.

Norm

the collecter

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps alot.

I read in one reply that someone puts there trees in a garage, this sounds like a good idea for me since my garden is nowhere near ready for trees yet - the soil if polluted therefor I have to clean it theroughly before planting, but its not like the ground was polluted by trash, the ground where my garden is was basicly a storage area for scrap metal and things like that...so this is why I think the garage will be a good idea for me for now till I can clean the soil and get matterials for the actual garden.

As far as my shed:
I have a delapitated old shed (it must be about 80 years old) which we used for tools and storage...we bought a new shed and do not use the old one anymore...I feel that this old shed will protect my trees enough but still expose them to the cold winter climate, I only have one concern,

My concern:
My she doesn't have windows
Will this become a problem?
should I move the trees outside the shed in the day time to get sunlight and move them back inside at night?

thanks for all you'r help
~the collecter~
The world would be much more peacefull if every one had a Bonzai

Gnome
Mod

Collector,

I did not realize that you had no adequate location in your garden yet. Deciduous material does not require sunlight once the leaves have been shed. I have kept trees in an unheated garage with good results, they are sheltered but not too much. Leave them outside in their present location until they experience several hard frosts, don't pamper them too much. After you move them into your shed don't neglect watering, although not actively growing watering is still neccessary, albeit at a slower rate.

I forget what species you have, I concentrate primarily on deciduous species but I did acquire a Juniper this year. I will probably remove the plant from the pot and plant it in the garden as I mentioned above. I also have 30 new pine seedling that are in small pots and I have not decided what to do with them yet, so I will be learning as well

Can't you find a location near your shed where you can overwinter some of your plants? One row along a wall could accommodate several plants.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”