Phil L.R

Jade plant

Hello, everybody! I've just got my first Jade plant from a local nursery, it had a trunk that is almost as thick as a pencil and it goes up divided into three separate points with four leaves on each one. I've potted it into a medium black plastic pot with the following levels: rocks, sand, dirt and more
rocks to make evaporation more slower. I was wondering if it is possible to make bonsai out of a Jade plant and what would be a good stlye to make it in.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Phil,

While Jades are not considered a traditional species in bonsai there is no reason that you can't work with yours. I have a bunch of these and they are fairly quick growers that respond well to hard pruning. If you like succulants, look into Portulacaria. Their culture is similar to Jades but they have a much smaller leaf that is more suited to bonsai.

As far as styles the two that come to mind are informal upright or twin trunk.

Norm

Phil L.R

Oh, you mean Dwarf Jade Plant? Because I have one of those too (I think), I never thought they were good for bonsai, thanks!

manofthetrees

my father has one that is at least 25yrs old and is a fantstic specimen. I is not in a bonsai pot tho, but jade trees can look like bonsai with time

djlen
Green Thumb

Gnome wrote:Phil,

While Jades are not considered a traditional species in bonsai there is no reason that you can't work with yours. I have a bunch of these and they are fairly quick growers that respond well to hard pruning. If you like succulants, look into Portulacaria. Their culture is similar to Jades but they have a much smaller leaf that is more suited to bonsai.

As far as styles the two that come to mind are informal upright or twin trunk.

Norm
Norm turned me on to 'Ports' last year and I'm having more fun cultivating and training them for Bonsai than any other 'indoor' varieties I have. They are so adaptable and easy to work with. I'm very grateful to you Norm for pointing me in that direction.
I will also say that I have had very little luck with the plants that most people associate with "Jade" plants. For some reason I cannot find an indoor light source that will make mine happy. They tend to burn under my fluorescent lighting. Any suggestions that might help with them would be appreciated. [url=https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/Hort/Hort332/images/plantlist/jade%2520plant.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/Hort/Hort332/plantlists.html&h=960&w=1280&sz=272&tbnid=FDshv4hFIGycrM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djade%2Bplant&zoom=1&q=jade+plant&hl=&usg=__piaYp9VJuok44Q4ryWk_0ckK1oU=&sa=X&ei=PUbETKW1FYOClAf895ES&ved=0CDAQ9QEwBA]Here[/url] is a nice shot (in flower) of the ones I can't grow

Again the 'Ports' have no issues with lighting (or in my case watering) at all. They will grow well for me no matter how neglectful or over-fathering I might be. I think the small leaved succulents make great Winter time subjects as they are not affected by the Forced Hot Air heat that we have in our house. Just a friendly little plant.:)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Say What?? I have Portulacaria growing like crazy as a weed in my front yard lol I never would have imagined people could turn it into a actual bonsai... I just checked out google images and can't believe my eyes... Absolutely amazing!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Phil,
Oh, you mean Dwarf Jade Plant? Because I have one of those too (I think), I never thought they were good for bonsai, thanks!
Yes, Dwarf Jade or Baby Jade are just twp of the common names this species is known as. We are almost certainly talking about the same plant but try the Google search that BewilderedGreenyO.o mentions. They do present a surpisingly good image. They also respond well to hard pruning, so maybe your landscape specimen has a future as a bonsai.

Len,
Norm turned me on to 'Ports' last year and I'm having more fun cultivating and training them for Bonsai than any other 'indoor' varieties I have. They are so adaptable and easy to work with. I'm very grateful to you Norm for pointing me in that direction.
I'm glad they are working out for you. Not sure why you are having trouble with actual Jades though. I seldom have any issues with mine I even have one that is about to flower.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

Norm, they seem to burn under just my 4' shop lights. I have no idea why or what light to give them. Every Summer they do great outside and then I bring them in and the leaves burn up under my lighting.
Thoughts?
BTW, no such issues with the Portulacaria! I just love that variety.

majed

baby jade can be trained as bonsai here is mine
before
[img]https://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/majedadv/IMG00426.jpg[/img]
after some time
[img]https://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/majedadv/IMG00111.jpg[/img]

tree has developed its shape now,but I don't have updated pics now will load them soon.

Phil L.R

Woah! Thanks guys! I'll start working on my jade plant today!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Phil,

It may be early to begin working on your Jade with it being the size of a pencil. A few years of growth will allow it to thicken up and get you something to work with.

Len,

No, not sure what's going on. I find that it is not uncommon for larger, older leaves to shrivel and fall. I have removed perhaps a dozen from one of my larger ones since I have brought it inside. That does not sound like what you are experiencing though.

Fluorescent lights don't seem to bother mine but due to the quantity of plants that I have they all can't get maximum exposure. Mostly they just coast through the winter.

Norm

djlen
Green Thumb

I moved them into her plant room for the foreseeable future where she has a few that far out shine mine and we'll see how they do in there.
Her grow lights are farther from the shelf where the plants sit and that may be the secret.
We'll see.
I find it curious that the Ports do so well for me in my room but the Jades do not.......go figure!!

Thanks Norm.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

In good nurseries you often find the jade they have been taking their cuttings off of for decades, and I always think these behemoths should be put in pots and put out to pastureat a certain age. I was in a customers GC the other day and saw one with a trunk like my thigh...

And you should see my thigh! :lol:

HG

Phil L.R

I'll be posting some photos of the plants I'm going to use to make bonsai, with them I'll post my jade plant. Thanks,guys!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”