C&ABONSAI
Newly Registered

New to Bonsai (Want to purchase a Chinese Elm)

All,
I am new to Bonsai and I was looking to purchase a Medium Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree from a web site. Before I spend 50.00 dollars I would like to get your opinion on the care of the Chinese Elm. I Live in Chicago and it gets cold here in the winter. I understand that the Chinese elm is strictly an outdoor Bonsai. Please let me know your thoughts and pointers for the care of this tree.

Thank you!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

C&A,

Chinese Elms, Ulmus parvifolia, make excellent bonsai. As far as being strictly outdoor trees, this is not neccessarily so but I prefer to keep mine outside. Either way keep them outside during the summer. I leave mine out until about Thanksgiving allowing it to experience several frosts, they are pretty hardy. Then I bring it into an unheated garage after it is fully dormant. Others bring them inside at this time where they will leaf out as if it were spring. I have never done this.

Many Chinese elms are mass produced and have an exaggerated S shaped bend, try to avoid this if you have a choice. Nothing screams "mallsai" more. I am still trying to overcome this shortcoming on one of my trees. When choosing a tree look first for the arrangement of the roots, (nebari), and secondarily for girth and movement of the trunk. Branches can easily be regrown. You may not have this luxury if buying online though. Try to find a quality bonsai nursery avoiding the inferior mass produced trees that are so prevelant.

Mine get full sun during the summer and are watered fairly liberally as they are in a very free draining mix. They are strong growers and trees that are already styled require clipping several times a season, these cuttings can be rooted without too much difficulty.

There are several varieties available, some have a very rough bark that gives the impression of age. Others have smooth bark like a Zelkova, Seju has very small leaves, even smaller than others which are small already.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

C&A,

A poor example, in my opinion. [url]https://miamitropicalbonsai.com/ch6.jpg[/url]

A better one, [url]https://miamitropicalbonsai.com/elm%203.jpg[/url]

Norm

C&ABONSAI
Newly Registered

Norm,
Thank you very much!!!
I would have to agree with you on the photos that you have posted. I like the second tree that is the type I'm looking for. Since I am purchasing online can you point me in the correct direction? Have you ever purchased online? If so, what website?I really don't want to get a massively produced tree.

Thank you
Chris

Sharp

C&ABONSAI wrote:Norm,
Thank you very much!!!
I would have to agree with you on the photos that you have posted. I like the second tree that is the type I'm looking for. Since I am purchasing online can you point me in the correct direction? Have you ever purchased online? If so, what website?I really don't want to get a massively produced tree.

Thank you
Chris
The only difference about the 2 pics is about $500. The trunk thickness and pads are really a deciding factor in price.

So if you are going for pricerange, I think Norm was trying to have you focus on the shape and taper of the tree and not the size.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

C&A,

I took a quick look around but did not find anything that grabbed me as a good compromise between cost and quality. I bought my first Elm locally and my second on E-bay, you can find decent starter trees there if you are careful. It is getting a little late in the season to buy trees, you might want to consider waiting until spring to make your purchase. I know that you are anxious to get started but in all honesty there is not a lot going on this time of year anyway. Let the grower overwinter it for you and take the opportunity to locate a quality grower. You may be able to find a local grower if you look around.

Sharp,

You are correct in saying that I was not focusing on price but instead on style and quality. The web site is not terribly clear on pricing but if I am interpreting it correctly the price range is $18 for the first tree and $125 for the second. A substantial difference to be sure but hardly $500.

When purchasing a tree you must weigh the options between quality and cost. If you have the time, inclination and skill to take a tree from the pre-bonsai stage to a finished tree then I encourage that. But if instead, you prefer to purchase a tree that is a little further along, that approach is equally valid. It is a trade-off, time vs dollars, that only the buyer can decide upon.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”